<editorial board> Contribution to the discussion

Dinavalli at aol.com Dinavalli at aol.com
Thu Jan 1 22:22:40 CET 2009

Greetings to all edu-factory friends on New Year's Day,
         We are writing to contribute our thoughts to the discussion
concerning the edu-factory project.
         As for the title, we agree that "Edu-factory" should appear in the
title but we also think that "edu-factory journal" would make it clear that the
intention will not be to produce an occasional commentary on universities and
knowledge production (which is the expectation that "Edu-factory Notes"
evokes).
         As for the subtitle, "Conflicts and Transformation in the
University" we think is a bit too precise and institutional but "Conflicts and
Transformation in Knowledge Production" is too vague. Combining precision and vagueness
might be best, "Conflicts and Transformation in Universities and Knowledge
Production."
          We recognize the problems noted by Ned Rossiter concerning the way
that the editorial board can get caught up in contradictory desires. He raises
important issues, but we have an even more elementary issue to pose: what are
our rules concerning decision-making? Is it unanimity or majority or
somewhere in between or none of the above?
          As for the zero issue: We agree that the notion of "double crisis"
is appropriate (and therefore the language of crisis be retained), i.e., the
crisis within the universities should be connected with the crisis of the
broader economy. There should be an effort to bring together struggles from around
the planet and show how they reflect, shape, and resist the crisis. We offer
to collect material from African universities and solicit articles on the
subject (how much we can do depends on the deadline).
         We look forward to working with you all in the New Year!
Best,
Silvia and George