<editorial board> An appeal for your involvement

Jon Solomon Su Zhean thejonnyroach at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:32:29 CEST 2010

  Dear Edu-Factory Editorial Committee Member:

As the Edu-Factory (EF) Collective enters into a new, much-anticipated
phase of transnationalization, we are pleased to share with you some
very exciting news about future plans and on-going developments. Above
all, we would very much like to solicit your cooperation in passing on
to your networks the Call for Papers (CFP) for the next journal issue
focused on the theme of measure and debt.

First, the news about the on-going process of transnationalization in
the collective. Eight new members were admitted into the collective this
summer, increasing the regional diversity of the group.
Transnationalization of struggles has been a central consensus at
Edu-Factory since its inception, and for that reason the collective has
always been motivated by a desire to transnationalize the collective
itself. Precisely because the transnational is a space of asymmetrical
differences, there is no question of applying a mathematical rule of
equal representation to a voluntary association of individuals in
different nations and regions brought together by the recognition of an
international dimension to the social struggles around education. So
what we have now in the EF collective is not a "United Nations of
Educational Struggles," but rather a tentative, evolving series of
relays and nodal points for the translation of struggles, and
translation-as-struggle, that was highlighted in the Zero issue of the
EF journal.

The first meeting of the transnational Collective, facilitated by the
Tokbox platform (www.tokbox.com <http://www.tokbox.com/>), was highly
productive. Details for the next issue of the Edu-Factory journal have
been finalized, and we are very pleased to announce that Nirmal Puwar
and Gerald Raunig have agreed to join members of the Collective in
co-editing this issue. The CFP for the issue is attached (and available
at
http://www.edu-factory.org/edu15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=380:call-for-papers-edufactory-journal-no-1-&catid=36:publications&Itemid=54
<http://www.edu-factory.org/edu15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=380:call-for-papers-edufactory-journal-no-1-&catid=36:publications&Itemid=54>).
Please circulate it widely. Since the journal relies wholly on informal
networks, the members of the Editorial Committee can play a key role in
helping the journal attract contributions that will make it a point of
reference for contemporary debates. Please do not hesitate to contact
the Collective should you have any suggestions, manuscripts, or advice
concerning the themes of the issue and/or potential contributors.
Needless to say, contributions from Editorial Committee members are
highly welcome!

In tandem with the journal issue, which has a projected completion date
of April, 2011, we are also planning to launch another round of the
highly successful Edu-Factory discussion list. The theme for this round
will be organized around debt and the system of measure. Given the
supercharged atmosphere surrounding these issues, we expect a very
lively discussion. Once again, the members of the Editorial Collective
can play a decisive role in the EF project by participating actively in
the discussion and publicizing it across your various formal and
informal networks.

Thank you for your time and input.
Regards,
The Edu-Factory Collective

P.S. This letter was supposed to mailed along with the CFP that was
circulated two days ago. Sorry for the mix-up--Jon Solomon, Taipei