<billions> links - mid May to June

Sam de Silva sam at commonedge.com.au
Mon Jun 1 14:37:47 CEST 2020

Hello there

Welcome to those who joined recently - especially those who arrived from the unlike-us list. We hope you will like-us.

We will experiment  going outside of email, and invite you to join the Telegram Billions group: https://t.me/joinchat/Hj1enhgpXjHH-6aYNFnaPg <https://t.me/joinchat/Hj1enhgpXjHH-6aYNFnaPg>

Billions will also set up on WhatsApp soon.

As always, if you have any feedback or contributions to make, please reply to this message. Please share your relevant research, blogs and articles…

And here’s this week’s Billions download.

Best, Sam / Billions

Research Report - Like a virus: The coordinated spread of coronavirus disinformation 1 June 2020
Queensland University of Technology, The Australia Institute, Centre for Responsible Technology
Analysis of over 25.5 million tweets over 10 days identifies 5,752 accounts that coordinated 6,559 times to spread mis- and disinformation regarding the coronavirus for either commercial or political purposes. Almost all politically motivated activity promoted right wing governments or parties. Coordinated spreading of the China bioweapon conspiracy theory is estimated to have made over 5 million impressions on Twitter users, spread by mainly pro-Trump, partisan conservative and/or QAnon accounts.
http://www.commonedge.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/P904-Like-a-virus-COVID19-disinformation-Web.pdf

Facebook employees revolt over Zuckerberg’s stance on Trump 1 June 2020. The Financial Times
Mark Zuckerberg is facing a backlash from within Facebook after several senior employees publicly criticised the chief executive for refusing to take action over posts by Donald Trump that Twitter last week censured for “glorifying violence”.
https://www.ft.com/content/0ad3c5e7-a93a-414f-911b-16cb3f118688

Dangers of Trump’s Executive Order Explained 31 May 2020. Electronic Frontier Foundation
The inaptly named Executive Order on Preventing Online Censorship(EO) is a mess on many levels: it’s likely unconstitutional on several grounds, built on false premises, and bad policy to boot.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/05/dangers-trumps-executive-order-explained

Parallel Pandemics 27 May 2020 Points Data&Society
The novel coronavirus has unleashed two parallel pandemics. One is the biological pandemic of COVID-19. The second is a social pandemic of digital misinformation: an infodemic.
https://points.datasociety.net/parallel-pandemics-a7d2f5bba9cf

There’s No Telling What Data Facebook Will Collect If You Use Its Zoom Clone 21 May 2020. The Intercept.
But today, well over a week after the rollout and nearly a month after Facebook announced and offered the privacy assurances about Messenger Rooms, it’s impossible to determine exactly what information will be collected about you and your life if you decide to use the product...
https://theintercept.com/2020/05/20/facebook-messenger-rooms-video-call/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The%20Intercept%20Newsletter <https://theintercept.com/2020/05/20/facebook-messenger-rooms-video-call/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The%20Intercept%20Newsletter>

Podcast - Douglas Rushkoff on reclaiming our humanity on the internet  7 May 2020. Big Tech Podcast
The internet became an extension of American capitalism, seeking to capture and analyze our attention to generate growth. We see the impact now on our society, democracy and overall wellbeing. But Rushkoff explains that the problem isn’t the technology—it’s the application.
https://thelogic.co/news/podcast/big-tech-podcast-douglas-rushkoff-on-reclaiming-our-humanity-on-the-internet/ <https://thelogic.co/news/podcast/big-tech-podcast-douglas-rushkoff-on-reclaiming-our-humanity-on-the-internet/>

Beyond keyboard crusaders: The power of social media and online activism 14 May 2020. Lens - Monash University
In an attention economy, the loudest voice isn’t always the most impactful. At a time when supporters of various causes are shouting louder than ever, Monash experts are finding new ways of getting important, accurate information to the community using a different tactic.

Advertising and social media face fresh trust issues amid global crisis 15 May 2020. The Drum
Just 43% of people in the UK said they preferred to see ads relevant to their interests and needs, versus 54% of people globally...The study also revealed low perceived authenticity around advertising on social channels, numbers that could spell trouble for the nascent influencer marketing industry.
https://www.thedrum.com/news/2020/05/15/advertising-and-social-media-face-fresh-trust-issues-amid-global-crisis <https://www.thedrum.com/news/2020/05/15/advertising-and-social-media-face-fresh-trust-issues-amid-global-crisis>