<billions> its the end of the year - links from December mostly

Sam de Silva sam at commonedge.com.au
Sat Dec 31 05:37:26 CET 2022

Hi there,

2022 is almost over. Next year, Billions will continue to do what it does - provide a scan of sorts across the social / media / digital / rights landscapes. We’ll also try to be a bit more ambitious - but in the spirit of social media - what we’ll actually plan do is going to remain vague and undefined :)

For those looking for longer-form end-of-year message - please take a look at what Dmitry Medvedev had to say <https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1607487338401206273?s=20&t=Dpkc8niFdUqQaWMQGwh7GA>. Note the classic amplification trick of name-dropping  a high profile user!

That’s it for 2022. Happy partying <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ>.

See you next year. Best, Sam.

‘Suicidal thoughts strike every day’: India’s sextortion scourge <https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2022/12/29/suicidal-thoughts-strike-every-day-indias-sextortion-scourge> , 29 Dec 2022 , Aljazeera

This app will self-destruct: How Belarusian hackers created an alternative Telegram for activists <https://therecord.media/this-app-will-self-destruct-how-belarusian-hackers-created-an-alternative-telegram-for-activists/> , 29 Dec 2022 , The Record -

Twitter sells blue checks, Tumblr allows nudes: 2022’s biggest Big-Tech U-turns <https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/12/twitter-sells-blue-checks-tumblr-allows-nudes-2022s-biggest-big-tech-u-turns/> , 27 Dec 2022 , Ars Technics - Gmail stops filtering political spam, Meta allows some death threats, and more.

Crypto miners and traders are closing up shop across Asia <https://restofworld.org/2022/crypto-winter/> , 21 Dec 2022 , Rest of World - From Jakarta to Kazakhstan, the picture is bleak. “We will sell our graphics-processing units to gamers,” says one crypto miner.

Why the Twitter Files actually matter <https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/12/15/23505370/twitter-files-elon-musk-taibbi-weiss-covid> , 15 Dec 2022 , Vox - Twitter’s previous management made some controversial political decisions. Some of them haven’t held up.

AI Isn’t Artificial or Intelligent <https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxnaqz/ai-isnt-artificial-or-intelligent>, 7 Dec 2022 , Vice - How AI innovation is powered by underpaid workers in foreign countries.

Growing polarization around climate change on social media <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01527-x> , 24 Nov 2022 , Nature Climate Change

Punching Down: How the "anti-disinformation" movement worked with Big Tech to protect Big Pharma <https://disinformationchronicle.substack.com/p/punching-down-how-the-anti-disinformation?utm_source=substack&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=web> - 22 Nov 2022 , Disinformation Chronicle