<CPOV> Dare to Quote! On Zizek and Wikipedia

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 15 15:59:52 CEST 2010

Reading Slavoj Zizek's 2010 Living in the End Times book, I noticed
the author quoting Wikipedia a number of times. No big deal, you would
say but it is significant in the light of ongoing controversy around
Wikipedia as a reliable (academic) source. Zizek is considered a
leading intellectual, and arguably Europe's most famous philosopher of
the baby boomers (b. 1949). This postwar generation entered their
professional lives in the age of the (electronic) type writer, well
before the introduction of the personal computer. If a critic like
Zizek includes Wikipedia in his verbal stream of conciousness it is a
sign of the times that Wikipedia has become an integral part of our
media environment.

So far, in the case of Zizek, referenced media have been been books,
followed by feature films. Forget newspapers, television and radio, or
hearsay conversations and correspondences. If Zizek starts telling
stories it is based on contemporary myths and current affairs that are
supposed to be known to all of us, written down without detailed
references. If Zizek starts to theorize he talks aloud, like in a bar,
and it is this oral, narrative element that constitutes his
philosophy. To include Wikipedia in these rants is part of a
significant cultural shift and it is odd that Zizek himself is unaware
of this Event. Naive or not, it is

As far as I know Zizek has not yet written at length about the
internet, mobile phones, e-readers or computer games. What in Living
in the End Times resurfaces is his fascination for post-humanism and
techno-gnosis. The example analyzed in this book it is MIT's Sixth
Sense research program ("wearable gestural interface that augments the
physical world around us with digital information and lets us use
natural hand gestures to interact with that information"). Much like
Zizek's analysis of early 90s Virtual Reality it is in particular the
embodiment of information that interests the psycho analyst. Zzek
cannot distinguish between networked communicatio and the 'virtual
architecture' (if possible in 3D) of Second Life or World of Warcraft.
The invisible, non-representational nature of new media falls outside
of Zizek's theory scope. Zizek is not the only theorist we can blame
for the confusion between cyberspace and virtual reality. But twenty
years onwards you would think that someone could have given Zizek a
basic update what has happened in the world of new media.

Libertarians are indeed featured (Ayn Rand) but the Silicon Valley
techno-libertarian religion is not an object of study for Zizek. It is
in particular the dark, apocalyptic side of Ray Kurzweil that
interests Zizek, not Google. An interesting example of his  blind spot
for the networked nature of capitalism is on display in Zizek's visit
to Google's Mountain View headquarters where he spoke during the
Authors at Google lunch series in October 2008.  Zizek is the perfect
example if you want to show how little cultural studies and film
theories have to say about the internet. As Zizek recently admitted to
The Guardian: "I am a good Hegelian. If you have a good theory, forget
about the reality." The problem in this case is that Zizek not even as
a basic set of critical notions, let alone a theory. This could be
reason why he remains silence about it in his books.

All the more interesting that In Living in the End Times we can find
at least five references to Wikipedia (always without URL).  The books
also refers to used internet sources in thirteen footnotes in which he
does point to actual web locations but forgets to mention dates or
author names. The editors at Verso Books did not include Wikipedia in
the index. They did include 'internet' with three page references, but
none of them are significant, idea-wise. "He is very much a thinker
for our turbulent, high speed, information-led lives," Sophie Fiennes
remarks in the same Guardian piece. Sure, but it is a pitty that when
Zizek will eventually slow down to write his real Magnus Opus its
topic will be Hegel and not the internet.