<CPOV> The Wikipedia Cult

nathaniel tkacz nathanieltkacz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:19:03 CEST 2010

seth,

if the term "cult" is too attractive to be left aside, i think it would be
useful to pose the question: how does wikipedia transform the notion of
cult? one thing about cults historically, for example, is that almost
everyone who isn't in the cult thinks the cult is crazy. with wikipedia this
isn't that case. only a very small minority of people are critical of
wikipedia and most think it's great (regardless of what you or i think).
this kind of thought experiment seems more interesting for me.

regarding your description of wikipedia as exploitative and akin to
sweatshop labour, i have to strongly disagree. the realities of sweatshop
labour are a million miles from wikipedia. last time i checked people
weren't committing suicide on a weekly basis after contributing to
wikipedia, as is the case in the ifactories. people who contribute to
wikipedia aren't in free trade zones, or living in cramped dorms on company
grounds. even if these comments were merely stylistic, think these kinds of
claims are way over the top and disrespectful to actual factory workers.

it seems to me that thinking about the work/contribution/labour process of
wikipedia should begin with the debates around playbour. is anyone writing
about work in wikipedia on this list?

what is clear is that modern, industrial paradigms that clearly demarcate
between work and leisure no longer apply.

best

Nate Tkacz

Research Fellow,
RMIT University