<CPOV> The Wikipedia Cult

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Thu Jun 3 17:05:10 CEST 2010

Ye Who Would Be C In Thy POV,

Wikipedia's cabalism, cultishness, groupthinkitude, whatever you want to call it,
is very real, and Vaknin's article describes it quite accurately.  I frankly wish
we could be discussing the future of knowledge work on the Web, relative to which
Wikipedia furnishes a wealth of data about how badly a naive idea can can wrong,
but other people keep bringing it up, so those who know are forced to say what
they know.

This is of course a hoary old topic at The Wikipedia Review.
I once began a "meta-thread" in the Meta-Discussion Forum to
collect various reflections on the subject.  It appears to be
something of a dead horse over there, but here it is, FWIW:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=17187&view=findpost&p=90830

I am slightly incited to resuscitate the jockey if not the horse.

Jon Awbrey

NT = Nathaniel Tkacz
SF = Seth Finkelstein

NT: i don' think the question of whether wikipedia is or is not a cult
>   is a useful one. what is there to add by calling it a cult?

SF: Demystification.

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey