<CPOV> Wikipedia as an Alternative United Nations-Like Forum

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Fri Jun 18 19:28:45 CEST 2010

Andy,

The situation is not quite as you say, since the use of multiple accounts
by a single person is not strictly verboten as some people seem to think.
This is probably one of the most frequent topics on The Wikipedia Review --
incidentally, WR staffer Herschel Krustofsky has just written an excellent
white paper on the State of the Sockpuppet Issue, as the natives know it:

http://wikipediareview.com/blog/20100614/the-duck-test/

It is an empirical fact that the mapping of persons (or corporate entities)
to user accounts is both one-to-many and many-to-one (the latter being known
as "public" or "shared" accounts), and Wikipedists have no way of controlling
either with any degree of effectiveness, no matter how much blue smoke they may
blow about the CheckUser mystique.

If you follow the discussions at The Wikipedia Review, you will know that there
has been a constant stream of investigations into flagrantly abusive and fraudulent
exploitation of multiple accounts by onetime "trusted" administrators and their "pets",
many of these investigations being conducted in ad hoc, if somewhat implausibly denied
coordination between "Good Samaritan" WP users and the members of The Wikipedia Review.

There is a wealth of data and a host of savvy informants there if anyone
is really up to pursuing the truth about Wikipedian culture and practices.

Jon Awbrey

--

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey