<CPOV> What dismays me

Lichty, Patrick plichty at colum.edu
Tue Mar 16 13:44:33 CET 2010

Well, in my presentation, I am goign to talk abotu the idea of a wiki-based community in general.
Wikimediae communities, although anarchic media, create emergent hegemonies which then create strange power concentrations, inversions, etc.
In many ways, they allow for ad hoc cliques to build massive cultural scaffolds and then become organizations, which, as I'm reading "The Coming Insurrenction", are in themselves problems.
I believe that there are only cosmetic differences between Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Dramatica.  We can say that one is surelylarger than the other, but in many ways, the premise, infrastructure, etc are similar, it ie merely that the mission is different, and that is basically it.  From that initial condition, you have what Keen would call "the enlightened amateur" calling the shots, or trolls, in the case of ED, or art-trolls like Kildall and Stern (kidding, as this is what Jessie Wales called them) in the case of Wikipedia Art.

I ask a bit of forgiveness in regards to the fact that i will be looking at Wiki-based communities as such and their relationship to filtering and cultural curation in general,a nd not Wikipedia specifically.  It's more of a radical analysis of the genre.

Patrick Lichty
Assit. Professor
Dept of Interactive Arts & media
Columbia College, Chicago
916/1000 S. Wabash Ave #104
Chicago, IL USA
"Better to Die on Your Feet Than to Live On Your Knees"