<CPOV> The world according to Jimmy Wales?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue May 25 09:42:26 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I agree with Maja that the universalist notion implicit in Wikipedia's
self-image is a very interesting topic. Similar claims can be found in
the context of google books and the idea of a universal library. "The
world at your fingertips" also seems to play with this theme.

I vaguely remember a very interesting presentation on the history of
large infrastructure projects. The speaker found that the early days of
a new infrastructure are often driven by euphoric dreams of getting
everything and everyone connected to it. He spoke of an
"Anschlusszwang", a coercion of access.

So, perhaps the universal vision is not that specific to Wikipedia but
rather a comment element of many Internet related projects. The
uneasiness some of us feel in the face of such visions may have to do
with the "imperialist" drive embedded in them on the one hand and the
suspected marginalization of less codified and visible types of social
practices and knowledges on the other. Visions of the universal are
always selective as Maja's presentation showed so beautifully.

jeanette