<CPOV> UvA students create new Wikipedia entries and blog about it

Athina Karatzogianni athina.k at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:33:41 CEST 2010

Hi Geert and all,

Not one to make compliments lightly, I just wanted to say I had a look at
the master theses and I am very impressed with the work. It is a true
accomplishment.

Thank you for sharing.

All the best

Athina

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Geert Lovink <geert at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> over the past week nearly 60 students of mine who are following the New
> Media Practices course of the New Media masters at Mediastudies (University
> of Amsterdam, humanities faculty) had the assignment to write a new
> Wikipedia entry. They also had to write a blog posting about this experience
> on the collaborative blog called Masters of Media. This blog was founded in
> September 2006 and is now in use by the fifth generation of students.
>
> I have done similar assignments over the past years. Last year we had 35
> students.
>
> About half the students ran into trouble, either having their entry deleted
> or having to rename it, change topic and so on.
>
> Please read their exciting reports here: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/
> .
>
> Another way to navigate could be the tag cloud:
> http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/tag/wikipedia/.
>
> Here you can find photos of the three classes:
> http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/about/.
>
> At least half of the students are from outside the Netherlands, and more
> than half female.
>
> Best, Geert

Dr Athina Karatzogianni
Lecturer in Media, Culture and Society
The Dean's Representative (Chinese Partnerships)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The University of Hull
United Kingdom
HU6 7RX