<CPOV> So has anyone else seen Truth in Numbers?

Felipe Ortega jfelipe at libresoft.es
Wed Oct 27 16:25:28 CEST 2010

On Miércoles, 27 de Octubre de 2010 10:11:48 Niesyto, Johanna escribió:
> Hi Joseph
>
> I watched it in July in Gdansk when it was screened for the first time for
> the Wikimania 2010. I personally thought it was a bit too much
> Wales-Keen-centred and the title is catchy but might be misleading -- we
> know that core editing is not so much about numbers... The discussion
> afterwards alluded to the question of how a film can be balanced and what
> a documentary and npov have in common. While film has its own logic and
> idea of 'authorship', there were also questions concerning the commercial
> model of film distrubution. Also the 'edit button' was missed by some
> 'Wikimaniacs' -- they would  love to see the huge amount of  raw material
> online, so that everyone can take another look ... or even cut a film? I
> don't know if the material is online yet. However I did very much enjoy to
> watch the film on the Wikimania as two different media formats talked to
> eachother...

According to what Andrew Lih said about the official public release, the video
should be aired early next month. I hope they will offer some opportunity for
adding subtitles. It will be really useful for sessions about Wikipedia
community in our Master.

I'm waiting to watch it again. As I reflected in my comments after Wikimania
2010, it left me with many mixed feelings. Specially on whether this video can
help to lower barriers and reluctant attitudes among scholars, and facilitate
using Wikipedia in univerisities and other educational levels.

Best,
F.