<CPOV> post-10 years' celebrations, the add debate once again?

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Sun Feb 6 21:25:17 CET 2011

Wikipedia is only one of the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation. Their
goal, as they present it, is to encourage free content policy and to
support the creation and distribution of free content worldwide. They do
manage to collect more donations each year (although they present it as
"money for Wikipedia", since this is the "brand" that everyone knows),
and they do spend more every year. And yet it would be wrong to judge
the usefulness of these spending by the activity on Wikipedia. The
question is whether they are successful in promoting the entire aspects
of their goal. I don't have a decisive answer to that, partially because
some of their new ideas are in a very early stage (that is, money is
already spent for hiring people and planning, but it is hard to tell
whether there will be fruits at the end of the road).

Disclosure: I used to be an enthusiastic volunteer of the WM Foundation
and even traveled to conferences on their expanse. I'm still involved in
some of their project, though much less than I used too. To be honest, I
have never been in full agreement with the Foundation's policy, but I
value their work.

Dror

בתאריך 06/02/11 19:41, ציטוט Heather Ford: