<CPOV> About Wikipedia Illustrated

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 18 09:12:58 CET 2011

From: mushon at shual.com

Wikipedia Illustrated

While we’re celebrating the explosion of open source software and
collaborative projects like Wikipedia, visual art has not been
enjoying similar levels of passionate and generous online
contribution. Open culture has developed inspiring text-based
collaborative models, but have yet to develop successful models for
open collaboration on visual culture. Wikipedia Illustrated seeks to
develop such models. Through a book featuring 26 illustrated articles,
a blog that follows the production and a set of workshops we hope to
develop a methodology for contributing creative-commons licensed
illustrations to Wikipedia.

Is the visual aspect of Wikipedia so lacking and dated because it
could only use freely licensed images? Or is it that images have to
become “historical” to become removed, objective, factual, and
therefore applicable to the Wikipedia guidelines? Is the Wikipedia
project really inviting visual artists to contribute their work to the
commons? Or is visual work inherently less collaborative? As the
project evolves it exposes the myths and biases behind these questions
and reveals the surprising and complicated dynamics of open culture.

Here are some examples for the Wikipedia articles we chose for the
project and for why we chose them:

	• /Ash_heap_of_history—Wikipedia seems to give a lot of room for what
history has forgotten. But it seems to be doing so while forgetting
the way history has remembered – through visual art.
	• /Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view—The principle of achieving
neutrality and striving towards the middle ground is a key feature of
the Wikipedia project. But visual culture has its own needs and
processes. Collaboration on an image would not necessarily look like
collaboration on text. The Wikimedia-Commons project itself recognizes
that and chooses multiplicity over a unified visual content and style.
	• /Bathroom_singing—The individual echo chamber that often fosters
creativity is actually also an important player in Wikipedia itself.
In choosing articles like “Bathroom Singing” we embrace the esoteric
edges of Wikipedia. We believe they expose the creative force of the
subjective tone. Subjectivity is an essential component of the visual
work. It makes sure that the image not only echos the text, but adds a
substantial value on top of it.
	• /Unkown_knowns—we don’t know that we know how to collaborate on
text. Wikipedia’s sophisticated ideology—its collaborative model has
been perfected to slip into the background of the networked
collaboration.
	• /Ignore_All_Rules—we don’t have a perfected collaborative model for
visual work. It would not be dozens of participants collaboratively
editing the same canvas. We have to ignore the rules that were not
perfected for visual collaboration to find ways of breaking the
individual creativity vs. networked collaboration deadlock.
	• /Fight-or-flight_response—Through the blog, the book, the
workshops, we attempt to craft a new collaborative model for image
making. One that does not fly away at the sight of mass collaboration.
One that resists the initial tendency to neutralize itself for what
some may consider to be a more collaborative practice. We believe it
is essential for a liberated subjective image to hash out the
difficulties before we preemptively attempting to solve them.
	• /Victory_(disambiguation)—But what would a successful result look
like? Would we measure it by the longevity of the illustrations within
Wikipedia’s pages? Would we manage to disambiguate visual culture for
the sake of collaboration? Should we even attempt to? Or maybe the
opposite is required? Maybe it is the time for “reambiguation”…
WikipediaIllustrated.org was initiated by artist/illustrator Galia
Offri and by designer/educator Mushon Zer-Aviv and launched at the
2011 Transmediale Festival in Berlin.
Mushon Zer-Aviv