<CPOV> Egypte, brûle-t-elle?

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Mon Jan 31 19:55:41 CET 2011

Hi,

I suppose you have all noticed that Egypt is going through rough time,
but I wonder if you looked into the history of the article about the
events. It almost seems as if the article preceded the actual events.
The article on the English-language Wikipedia is entitled "2011 Egyptian
protests". It already exists in 39 languages (incl. English). In Arabic
and Egyptian-Arabic it is entitled "The Egyptian Revolution of Wrath"
(the demonstrations on Friday were called by the organizers "Friday of
Wrath").

Now to the interesting part - The demonstrations were planned via
FaceBook for about a week, and "D-Day" was Tuesday, 25 January (which is
a public holiday in Egypt). The first version of the article on the
English Wikipedia has a time stamp of 13:26 25 January 2011 (UTC I
presume). The person who initiated the article is nicknamed "The
Egyptian Liberal" and according to his userpage he is an Egyptian who
lives in Dubai and speaks both Arabic and English as mother tongues.
"The Egyptian Liberal" worked very fast to enrich the article, and it
was practically written in the course of the events. In the list of
things that Wikipedia isn't there is a paragraph saying "Wikipedia is
not a newspaper". Indeed, Wikipedia did not function here as a
newspaper, but rather as a tool serving the organizers of the
demonstrations.

An equivalent article was initiated on the Arabic Wikipedia 3 and a half
hours after its English counterpart. It was initiated by someone who
apparently lives in Egypt, but "The Egyptian Liberal" joined him quite
soon. The article on the Egyptian-Arabic Wikipedia emerged only on 28
January, two and a half days after its English and Arabic counterparts.
It was initiated by a person who lives in Egypt, and he is also the main
contributor, but "The Egyptian Liberal" had his share here too.

These are just my first observation, which I find interesting because it
is, in my opinion, another stage of Wikipedia losing its encyclopedic
characteristics.

Dror

בתאריך 31/01/11 17:07, ציטוט Maja van der Velden: