<CPOV> Something I've written about the development of the NPOV principle on en-wp

Niesyto, Johanna Johanna.Niesyto at uni-siegen.de
Tue Jun 14 13:26:33 CEST 2011

i have followed your discussion as i have been analyzing in the past weeks the very first discussion pages about npov in the en and de-versions.

some of your different interpretations are all found in the users' interpretations already -- npov is said to be for instance an ingredient to collaboration in terms of a principle ensuring collobaoration and NPOV is seen as 'framework for a process' and/or 'community consensus'. on the other hand users see it as a state (not a process) or a "governing ontological distinction" as one ip has phrased it. in both versions these interpretations of npov as somehwo fixed in the sense of linked to certain epistemological assumptions are marginalized by labeling them as off-topic: other users point e.g. to wikinfo or declare the contribution as trolling... ideas about 'truth' are also transported in different frames, truth is very strong refered to in argumenations that discuss the scientifc/epistemological roots of the principle whereas 'truth' is not refered to by those in favor of ex-negativo explanations for a npov-principle that is ambigious enough to 'run' the wikipedia project. in all, the discussion is not so much about 'wiki vs pedia' as both positions refer to the design and technical possibilities of wikipedia.

Universität Siegen
Philosophische Fakultät / Politikwissenschaft
Adolf-Reichwein-Straße 2
Raum AR-B 2217
57068 Siegen

Tel.: 0271 / 740 2279