<Fair City Amsterdam> Fwd: Support (London's) Seven Sisters Market / Latin Village / Wards Corner!!!!

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 11 08:21:01 CEST 2019

Aloha,

Meanwhile, on the International front:

Groeten uit Zd Zweden, p+2D!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Support Seven Sisters Market / Latin Village / Wards Corner!!!!
Date: 2019-04-10 18:06
 From: Myfanwy Taylor <M.M.Taylor at LEEDS.AC.UK>
To: INURA at YORKU.CA

Dear INURAians

Many of you may have heard about the campaign to save Seven Sisters
Market/Latin Village/Wards Corner in Tottenham from Michael Edwards or
me at previous INURA conferences.

Although the alternative community plan [1] received planning permission
in 2014, the market and wider site - which plays an extremely important
role for London's Latin American communities, as well as local
low-income and migrant and diverse ethnic groups - has remained under
continuous and escalating threat from the Grainger demolition and
redevelopment plan. Planning permission expired in 2017, as volunteer
time and resources were diverted towards these battles.

The campaign is now at a crucial stage, with traders and their
supporters - growing by the day - launching today their appeal of the
Secretary of State's decision to approve Haringey Council's proposal to
use compulsory purchase powers to facilitate the Grainger plan. They
need to urgently raise £20,000 to fund the legal appeal. Please help if
you can by donating here:
https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/savelatinvillage-cpo-appeal/ [2].

The campaign is attracting increasingly supportive press coverage, most
recently in today's Evening Standard. The group are trying to make the
most of this to attract donations to the legal fundraiser; so please, if
you can re-tweet and share, using the hashtage #LatinVillageFightsBack
https://twitter.com/LatinVillageUK/status/1116000386005864448 [3]

I would like to coordinate a letter of support from academics for the
campaign and the community plan; I'll send something round INURA as soon
as I can. If anyone has any time to help over the next few weeks -
especially experts in regeneration/gentrification/community
planning/local economies etc - please do get in touch!

In solidarity, and with thanks,

Myfanwy

Dr Myfanwy Taylor

Research Fellow

Community Value of Traditional Retail Markets

School of Geography

University of Leeds

Email m.m.taylor at leeds.ac.uk

Project website: https://trmcommunityvalue.leeds.ac.uk/ [4]

University webpage https://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/m.taylor [5]

Twitter @myfanwy_t (personal) and @markets4people (project)

*** I work part-time and Friday is my day off. I work at home on Monday
and Tuesday. ***

Links:
------
[1]