::fibreculture:: One Kindle Per Child

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Aug 19 09:24:35 CEST 2010

Nonprofit Tries One-Kindle-Per-Child In Ghana

By Geoffrey Fowler  The Wall Street Journal  August 5, 2010
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/08/05/nonprofit-tries-one-kindle-per-
child-in-ghana>

In the developing world, where literacy remains a giant challenge, might
digital books be able to leapfrog their print counterparts?

That’s what a non-profit called Worldreader <www.worldreader.org> is
trying to figure out with a series of trials in Ghana that involve giving
students Kindles to read in school and at home.

“There’s a huge difference between being able to read from a selection of
the 10 books that you happen to have — or that somebody donated — versus
being able to get your hands on a book that you are really interested
in,” says Risher.

“When you combine that with very very low distribution costs for
additional books and falling technology prices, these are ingredients for
doing something really special.”

This test will involve 300 junior and senior high school students, who
will get a Kindle preloaded with some public-domain books, as well as
contemporary international and *local books* (which the organization is
helping to get published in digital form for the first time).

"It’s important that this be positioned not just as an educational aid,
but as something that can be used for personal pleasure," says
Risher. "The long-term idea is that technology will ultimately help
create a real culture of reading in parts of the world where that’s not
been possible before."

The children in Ghana show their e-readers to their parents. Most of the
parents do not read, so Kindle capabilities like the built-in dictionary
and text-to-speech help whole families.

www.worldreader.org say: "We are a market-oriented, not-for-profit
organization focused on increasing access to books in developing
countries. Families and schools in the developing world have access to
vanishingly little written material. Worldreader.org aims to put a
library of digital books in the hands of every family. But we don’t work
alone: we depend on donations and partnerships, and we invite you to join
companies like Amazon in helping achieve our mission."

--

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley