::fibreculture:: Julian Assange's Ultimate Publicity Stunt: Running For Australian Senate?

Techdirt Daily techdirt at techdirt.com
Tue Mar 20 10:01:01 CET 2012

Techdirt Daily Email for Tuesday, 20 March 2012

(Click here to visit the site)
Julian Assange's Ultimate Publicity Stunt: Running For Australian
Senate? (Politics)
by Mike Masnick from the really,-now? dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012
@ 10:57PM
Even for supporters of Wikileaks and what it tried to achieve, Julian
Assange is a polarizing figure -- often accused of letting his ego get
in the way of good judgment. So, to be honest, it comes as little
surprise that he's announced plans to run for the Australian Senate,
even while he's still stuck in the UK, awaiting a ruling on being
extradited to Sweden (with some concerns about eventually being
extradited to the US as well). Wikileaks also announced plans to have
someone else run against current Australian Prime Minister Julia
Gillard, who Assange feels has not done enough to support him. While
there have been some questions about the legality of such a run,
enough Australian legal experts seem to agree that he can probab ly do
it. Whether or not he can actually get very much support is another
question altogether. However, from an outside observer's standpoint,
it's going to make the next Australian elections a lot more interesting.

Oh, and just for amusement's sake, one Australian publication mocked
Wikileaks for misspelling Gilard's electorate, given its namesake's
similarities to Assange himself:
Assange had an electoral learning process of his own which played out
live on Twitter yesterday morning, with a first message from the
Wikileaks feed announcing only that the organisation would be
“fielding a candidate to run against Julia Gillard in her home seat of
Laylor (sic)”. Very shortly afterwards, a second tweet declared: “We
have discovered that it is possible for Julian Assange to run for the
Australian Senate while detained. Julian has decided to run.” The
spelling error in the initial tweet betrayed a curious ignorance of
Australian history, given that the electorate in question is named
after Peter Lalor, who led the famous Eureka Rebellion at the Ballarat
goldfields in 1854. One would have thought that Lalor, a radical
activist who saw his efforts crudely suppressed by the authorities
before going on to a distinguished career as a parliamentarian, might
have been better known to Assange – if not to the extent that he would
have spe lt his name correctly, then at least so far that he might
have misspelled it in a phonetically correct manner (“Lawlor”). But I
digress.
I would be pretty surprised if this candidacy (or either candidacy if
they really do raise two candidates) actually goes anywhere, but that
won't make it any less entertaining to follow.
18 Comments
No That Won't Backfire At All: Questionable Story About Obama's
Daughter Disappears From The Web (Journalism)
by Mike Masnick from the rampant-speculation dept on Monday, March
19th, 2012 @ 6:57PM
Generally speaking, the press has something of an implicit agreement
that they don't use underage Presidential offspring in politically
tinged stories. For obvious reasons, it's considered to be a pretty
cynical move. Of course, if they actually do something newsworthy, it
might be a different story. This afternoon a bunch of stories started
appearing, talking about how President Obama's daughter Malia was
traveling in Oaxaca, Mexico as part of a trip with some classmates
(and 25 secret service agents). This story was reported on by the AFP
wire service, and some tied it to the fact that the State Department
recently issued a travel advisory urging Americans to stay away from
parts of Mexico. Not surprisingly, some picked up on this story to
suggest some sort of... something. Double standard? Hypocrisy? Of
course, the details suggest this really was not much of a story. I f
you actually read the State Department warning, it makes it clear that
there is no warning in place for Oaxaca -- so this trip doesn't appear
to go against that warning.

It seems likely, then, that the AFP decided to pull back the story
once someone pointed that out, but the story is now rapidly
disappearing from a variety of online publications (big and small),
leading to questions and easy political points about how the story is
being "scrubbed." Google News listed about 27 versions of the story
when I looked, and later, following the links, I found almost every
single one of them was flat out gone. In most cases, they were
replaced with a 404 (including The Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the
Australian) or sometimes just redirecting people to a front page
(Huffington Post and International Business Times). The only version I
still found up was at TurkishPress.com, but it might not last very long.

Now, I tend to think that using the President's underage kids for a
political story is generally a low blow and not particularly nice, but
if there is something newsworthy happening, it should be fair game. I
also think that, from the sound of it, this story got blown out of
proportion by those who didn't bother to actually read the details of
the destination or the State Department's specific warning which notes
no problem at that destination.

But, having said all that, simply having the article disappear
completely, rather than putting up a correction or an explanation of
what happened, simply fuels both the conspiracy theories and the
interest in the story. It's exactly the wrong way to go about dealing
with the situation. There are a variety of possibilities here. The
administration may have asked the press to pull the story, which would
only generate more interest in the news. The AFP, upon realizing that
it shouldn't have posted the story, may have issued a kill order/
retraction of sorts. Or perhaps there's some other reasoning. But
there are good ways to handle these situations and ways that are
guaranteed to backfire. Simply making the articles disappear is pretty
much guaranteed to backfire and generate more interest in the story,
even if it's a total non-story. Replacing the original story with a
"hey, we thought this, but we got it wrong," would have been much more
effective.
38 Comments
DailyDirt: Pigs In Space... ((Mis)Uses of Technology)
by Michael Ho from the urls-we-dig-up dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012
@ 5:00PM
The space race has been over for quite some time now, and we're headed
into unknown territory now -- without a singular mission for space
exploration. There are a few manned missions still on-going, and
there's also a lot of experimental spacecraft under development. Here
are just a few space projects that use some interesting technologies.
A Japanese construction company says it might be possible to build a
space elevator by 2050 using carbon nanotubes to form a cable 96,000
kilometers long. There's no way to estimate the cost for this gigantic
elevator to space, though, since the materials to actually build it
can't be manufactured (yet?). [url]
Ion propulsion systems have been under development for decades, and
the Dawn spacecraft used an ion thruster to get a closer look at a big
asteroid named Vesta. Ion thrusters can run for a long time, unlike
chemical propulsion, and achieve velocities far greater than
conventional rockets. [url]
Masten Space Systems' Xombie suborbital rocket had a successful test
flight, demonstrating vertical takeoff and landing maneuvers for NASA.
This rocket uses a flight control system that could help land
spacecraft on asteroids or other non-terrestrial bodies. [url]
To discover more links on space exploration, check out what's floating
around in StumbleUpon universe. [url]
By the way, StumbleUpon can also recommend some good Techdirt
articles, too.
Why Hollywood's Six Strike Plan Should Be Investigated For Antitrust
Violations (Legal Issues)
by Mike Masnick from the good-points dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012
@ 3:49PM
With there being renewed interest in the questionable deal between the
RIAA/MPAA and the US's largest ISPs to set up a "six strikes"graduated
response plan to cause trouble for those accused (not convicted) of
file sharing, some are beginning to realize that the whole plan
deserves serious antitrust scrutiny. After all, you have the
representatives of two major industries getting together in a room to
collude on a plan that will make internet access more expensive for
users.

On top of that, since it's based on mere accusations (not convictions)
-- and those accusations will come from a company with a terrible
track record for accuracy -- you'll have to pay to challenge a strike
and (most ridiculous of all) if you do challenge it, you are limited
to just six defenses -- significantly less than are allowed under
copyright law. That is, if the work is in the public domain, but
published after 1923,you have no official defense under the plan. In
other words, not only does the plan involve collusion a mong multiple
big industries, but at the outset it assumes guilt before innocence,
makes you pay to claim you're innocent, and won't even let you use
basic defenses afforded to you under existing copyright law.

All of that seems of questionable legality. It also makes the White
House's direct involvement in brokering this plan look even worse.
And, once again, it makes us wonder why the real stakeholders,
internet users, weren't given a seat at the table. If they were,
perhaps this would have been avoided.

Of course, given the White House's involvement in brokering the deal,
there doesn't seem much likelihood that the Attorney General will
bother to scrutinize the agreement, since it would effectively be
challenging his own boss.

That said, the article linked above suggesting that an antitrust
inquiry seems necessary is written by Sean Flaim, and is based on his
even more thorough research paper detailing why this program needs to
be reviewed for antitrust violations. Unfortunately, the chances of
that actually happening are still pretty slim.
87 Comments
The Pirate Bay Claims It's Going To Host The Site Via Drones Flying
Over International Waters ((Mis)Uses of Technology)
by Mike Masnick from the the-pirate-ships-continue-to-go dept on
Monday, March 19th, 2012 @ 2:46PM
One of the more amazing things about the recent moves by the
entertainment industry to put in place stricter laws around the globe
to attack file sharing, is that they still don't realize how pointless
this is compared to the only real solution, which is to offer more of
what consumers actually want, rather than trying to force them into
some old way of doing business. For every "victory" the industry
declares, we see more and more evidence that the file sharing just
moves further away from what the industry can control (and keeps
growing). The Pirate Bay, of course, has always been one of the
leaders in mocking the legacy entertainment industry as it continues
to operate, despite years-long efforts to shut it down. And even as
there are reports of new raids pending, the organization has shifted
to magnet links, meaning that taking it down will be even more
meaningless than in the past.

Even so, the folks involved in TPB are still trying to go further. As
highlighted on TorrentFreak, the latest plan from TPB is to see if it
canserve the site from GPS-controlled drones flying over international
waters:
One of the technical things we always optimize is where to put our
front machines. They are the ones that re-direct your traffic to a
secret location. We have now decided to try to build something
extraordinary.

With the development of GPS controlled drones, far-reaching cheap
radio equipment and tiny new computers like the Raspberry Pi, we're
going to experiment with sending out some small drones that will float
some kilometers up in the air. This way our machines will have to be
shut down with aeroplanes in order to shut down the system. A real act
of war.

We're just starting so we haven't figured everything out yet. But we
can't limit ourselves to hosting things just on land anymore. These
Low Orbit Server Stations (LOSS) are just the first attempt. With
modern radio transmitters we can get over 100Mbps per node up to 50km
away. For the proxy system we're building, that's more than enough.
Whether or not they can actually pull it off is a totally different
question, but as we've been discussing recently, drone technology is
getting cheaper, and the potential disruption of the Raspberry Pi
should not be underestimated. While such things might not really be
ready yet to do what TPB hopes to do, it's not difficult to project
these trends out just a little ways to see that not only will it be
possible in the not-too-distant future, but it would be a surprise if
we didn't see setups that go way beyond what TPB is currently
proposing before too long.
79 Comments
 From Lori Drew To Dharun Ravi, Punishing People Based On Others'
Suicides Is A Mistake (Free Speech)
by Mike Masnick from the giving-the-wrong-message dept on Monday,
March 19th, 2012 @ 1:40PM
A few years back, we covered the Lori Drew case, involving charges
brought against a woman who stupidly set up a fake user account on
MySpace to try to find out what was going on with a girl the woman's
daughter had some issues with. The "fake account" was of a boy who the
real 13-year-old girl became very friendly with. At some point, the
"boy" turned on the girl, said some nasty things to her -- including
"the world would be better off without" her -- and cut off
communications. The girl committed suicide soon after. Lots and lots
of people wanted Lori Drew brought up on charges for the girl's death.
While we found Drew's actions to be incredibly immature and
ridiculous, we were much more concerned with efforts to pin the
suicide on her. Of course, the law wouldn't allow such a thing, so
prosecutors trumped up some charges, involving a claim that she
committed a felony by not following MySpace 's terms of service. She
was found guilty of a misdemeanor (not felony) charge -- which was
then dropped by the judge, who wasn't comfortable with the ruling.

Of course, this did lead to a flurry of attempts to pass
"cyberbullying" laws -- which try to make it a crime of some sort to
be a jerk online. This is problematic for a variety of reasons,
especially since it raises significant First Amendment issues, in part
because "being a jerk" is extremely subjective. But the worst part is
that much of what is considered to be "jerky" behavior is determined
after the other party commits suicide. This is extremely problematic
-- because whether or not your actions are seen as criminal depends
almost entirely on how someone else reacts to them. If they shake off
your actions, then you're fine. If they commit suicide, you get
punished. Thus, the incentive then is actually for kids to seriously
hurt themselves, if someone acts in a mean way towards them, as that
increases the likelihood of the bully getting punished. That doesn't
sound like a good incentive system.

I'm thinking about all of this after hearing about the guilty verdict
against Dharun Ravi -- the Rutgers student who surreptitiously filmed
his roommate engaged in a sexual encounter with another male. That
roommate, Tyler Clementi, later killed himself, once he found out
about it being filmed. Like the Lori Drew case, much of the
prosecution focused on the dead teenager -- and you can understand
why. It's a horrible (and horrifying) story. But, again, the reaction
is much more based on the end results, rather than the initial action.
No doubt, what Ravi did was despicable, but is it really criminal? Law
professor Paul Butler has an excellent opinion piece explaining why
this is an overreaction. He notes that Ravi was clearly immature and
did an obnoxio us thing in invading his roommate's privacy, but the
desire to see him locked up (and apparently there's a good chance
he'll be deported to India, despite not having lived there since he
was 2 years old) is almost entirely because of Clementi's tragic death:
Let's be honest. A lot of people want a pound of flesh from Ravi
because they blame him for Clementi's death. Tyler's reaction was
tragic, and it was idiosyncratic.... No judge in the country would
have allowed a homicide prosecution, because, legally speaking, Ravi
did not cause the death, nor was it reasonably foreseeable. Of the
millions of people who are bullied or who suffer invasions of privacy,
few kill themselves.

[....]

For his stupidity, Ravi should be shamed by his fellow students and
kicked out of his dorm, but he should not be sent to prison for years
and then banished from the United States.
As Butler notes, the rush to the criminal justice system, and the
focus on blaming Ravi, takes us away from a more reasonable place in
thinking about how to deal with these things:
The problem with broad laws like New Jersey's is that they come too
close to punishing people for what they think. Bigotry, including
homophobia, is morally condemnable, but in a free country, it should
not be a punishable offense....

[....]

Ravi did not invent homophobia, but he is being scapegoated for it.
Bias against gay people is, sadly, embedded in American culture. Until
last year people were being kicked out of the military because they
were homosexuals. None of the four leading presidential candidates --
President Obama, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich -- thinks
that gay people should be allowed to get married. A better way to
honor the life of Clementi would be for everyone to get off their high
horse about a 20-year-old kid and instead think about how we can
promote civil rights in our own lives.

Though a national conversation about civility and respect would have
been better, as usual for social problems, we looked to the criminal
justice system. The United States incarcerates more of its citizens
than any country in the world. We are an extraordinarily punitive
people.
Indeed, as tragic as Clementi's death is, it did inspire thousands of
people to act in a positive manner against homophobia by launching the
It Gets Better project -- a very powerful way that tons of people have
gathered to try to pass along the message to bullied teens (mainly
from the LGBT community) that things do, in fact, get better. That
response is a way of trying to deal with the actual problems. Going
after Ravi with these charges just seems like a punitive action based
on what Clementi did after Ravi's clearly childish and obnoxious
actions. It certainly can be difficult to separate out what Ravi did
from what Clementi did later, but in a society based on law, that's
what we're supposed to do. Being a jerk should get you shunned, but
not put in prison.
45 Comments
Summit Entertainment Claims To Own The Date November 20, 2009; Issues
Takedown On Art Created On That Day(Trademark)
by Mike Masnick from the hello-ip-fraud dept on Monday, March 19th,
2012 @ 12:38PM
Summit Entertainment, the movie studio behind the Twilight films, is
no stranger to ridiculous-to-insane overreaches of intellectual
property law. In fact, the studio seems to make a habit out of it. The
company has sued Zazzle because some of its users made fan art
inspired by Twilight. It's shut down a Twilight fanzine. It's said
that only it can make a documentary about the real town where the
fictionalTwilight story is based. It's sued to stop a fashion designer
from factually stating that a character in one of the movies wore its
jacket. Itshut down a silly 8-bit YouTube game. It issued a takedown
on a song that was written years before the Twilight movies. It went
after Bath & Bodyworks for daring to to sell a body lotion called
Twilight Woods, which had nothing to do with the movies. It
aggressively sued a fanand pressed criminal charges< /a> for tweeting
some behind the scenes photos of a Twilight movie. It also sued the
guy who registered twilight.com back in 1994.

This is a company that thinks that the world revolves around its
trademarks, and it appears to have little concern for what the law
actually says.

Its latest move is particularly asinine. The company came across the
following lovely image created by artist Kelly Howlett and posted to
Zazzle, and issued a takedown.

If you're thinking that image has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do
with Twilight, or any other Summit property, you're entirely correct.
But it turns out that Summit Entertainment has decided it owns the
date 11-20-09 (that's Kelly's Facebook explanation of what happened,
found via Bleeding Cool), which was the date the sketch was created,
and what it was tagged with. It also happens to be the date that
theTwilight movie New Moon was released.

Summit has no legitimate claim here. At all. And yet it took the
artwork down anyway, because that's the kind of IP abusers they are.

Zazzle eventually came to its senses and restored the image, and
Howlett is offering it on Society 6 as well. If Summit Entertainment
had anyone with a soul working for them, they'd buy a few hundred
prints to apologize.

Either way, the company has such a long and consistent history of
abusing intellectual property law, isn't there a point at which we
just say that the company no longer deserves any such power? If you
regularly abuse monopoly privileges, shouldn't they be taken away?
54 Comments
:-( Samsung, Research In Motion Sued For Making It Easy To Use
Emoticons (Patents)
by Mike Masnick from the thus,-infringing-a-patent dept on Monday,
March 19th, 2012 @ 11:39AM
All the way back in 2001, we wrote about how the brilliant satirists
at Despair Inc. successfully trademarked :-( and announced that they
planned to sue 7 million internet users for violating the trademark.
The actual announcement was pretty funny -- even though not everyone
got the joke. In 2006, we also had a story that mentioned a whole
bunch of patents and patent applications related to emoticons.

It appears that one of those is now being used in a lawsuit against
Samsung and RIM for having the gall to create a button that makes it
easy to pick an emoticon without typing it in. The patent in question
(US Patent 7,167,731) really is for having a button that lets you pick
emoticons. How this is possibly patentable is beyond me. But, for some
reason, examiner Lee Nguyen thought it was somehow non-obvious. The
patent was originally assigned to Wildseed, a mobile accessories firm
that AOL bought in 2005. The patent itself then went to Varia Mobil,
who moved it to Varia Holdings to Varia and back to Varia Holdings.
It's Varia Holdings bringing the lawsu it. Varia appears to just be a
trolling operation (of course).

It's fairly stunning that anyone considered this a valid patent at any
point. That it's now being used as the basis for a lawsuit should
(once again) raise significant questions about the USPTO's approval
process for patents.
Read More | 42 Comments
A Terrifying Look Into The NSA's Ability To Capture And Analyze Pretty
Much Every Communication (Privacy)
by Mike Masnick from the be-afraid dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012 @
10:33AM
You may recall that we've written a few times about the "turf war"
between the Department of Homeland Security and the Defense
Department's NSA over who gets to run the "cybersecurity" efforts for
the country. The NSA has been particularly insistent that all
cybersecurity efforts should go through it, and an amazing, detailed
and positively frightening article from James Bamford at Wired
Magazine, which is ostensibly about the NSA's massive new spy center
in Bluffdale, Utah, but is really a rather detailed (and well-sourced)
account of just how much spying the NSA is doing on pretty much all
communications. The article breaks some news in not just confirming
the details of the infamous warrantless wiretapping that st arted
under President Bush and has continued unabated under President Obama,
but also explains how the program is more advanced and more expansive
than previously thought. Basically, the NSA now collects everything,
whether or not the law allows it -- and it's building massively
powerful computers to break any encryption that is used on that
communication.

In regards to the question of "cybersecurity," one reason why the NSA
wants official control over cybersecurity is that's the curtain it
tries to hide behind to explain its massive spying operations:
A short time later, [NSA deputy director Chris] Inglis arrived in
Bluffdale at the site of the future data center, a flat, unpaved
runway on a little-used part of Camp Williams, a National Guard
training site. There, in a white tent set up for the occasion, Inglis
joined Harvey Davis, the agency’s associate director for installations
and logistics, and Utah senator Orrin Hatch, along with a few generals
and politicians in a surreal ceremony. Standing in an odd wooden
sandbox and holding gold-painted shovels, they made awkward jabs at
the sand and thus officially broke ground on what the local media had
simply dubbed “the spy center.” Hoping for some details on what was
about to be built, reporters turned to one of the invited guests, Lane
Beattie of the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce. Did he have any idea of
the purpose behind the new facility in his backyard? “Absolutely not,”
he said with a self-conscious half laugh. “Nor do I want them sp ying
on me.”

For his part, Inglis simply engaged in a bit of double-talk,
emphasizing the least threatening aspect of the center: “It’s a state-
of-the-art facility designed to support the intelligence community in
its mission to, in turn, enable and protect the nation’s
cybersecurity.” While cybersecurity will certainly be among the areas
focused on in Bluffdale, what is collected, how it’s collected, and
what is done with the material are far more important issues. Battling
hackers makes for a nice cover—it’s easy to explain, and who could be
against it? Then the reporters turned to Hatch, who proudly described
the center as “a great tribute to Utah,” then added, “I can’t tell you
a lot about what they’re going to be doing, because it’s highly
classified.”

And then there was this anomaly: Although this was supposedly the
official ground-breaking for the nation’s largest and most expensive
cybersecurity project, no one from the Department of Homeland
Security, the agency responsible for protecting civilian networks from
cyberattack, spoke from the lectern. In fact, the official who’d
originally introduced the data center, at a press conference in Salt
Lake City in October 2009, had nothing to do with cybersecurity. It
was Glenn A. Gaffney, deputy director of national intelligence for
collection, a man who had spent almost his entire career at the CIA.
As head of collection for the intelligence community, he managed the
country’s human and electronic spies.
The entire article is worth reading, as it details the extent of the
NSA's spying, as well as their near total lack of concern for what the
law says it's allowed to do. A former NSA official who left the agency
soon after all this started notes that the organization "violated the
Constitution setting it up," and that "they didn't care. They were
going to do it anyway and they were going to crucify anyone who stood
in the way." This same officials notes multiple ways that the NSA
could have set up programs that only focused on specific "targets" or
those close to the targets, to stay within the framework of the law.
He even suggested these to people at the NSA and elsewhere in the
federal government and was completely brushed off. The temptation to
collect everything is apparently just too powerful.

As the article notes, even if such an effort may be useful in getting
information on those who wish to do us harm, the threat of it being
massively abused is incredibly high:
But there is, of course, reason for anyone to be distressed about the
practice. Once the door is open for the government to spy on US
citizens, there are often great temptations to abuse that power for
political purposes, as when Richard Nixon eavesdropped on his
political enemies during Watergate and ordered the NSA to spy on
antiwar protesters. Those and other abuses prompted Congress to enact
prohibitions in the mid-1970s against domestic spying.
But it appears that things have gone very much in the other direction
now, with the NSA having much more ability to spy on people today than
in the past. And even the idea of strong encryption may only be a
temporary way of keeping the NSA from knowing everything you've
communicated. Bamford details the NSA's classified effort to build
superfast supercomputers that can help in breaking even the strongest
encryption being used today. It's not quite there yet, from the sound
of things, but it also appears they're advancing faster than most
people predicted.

The whole article is worth a read, but it's a frightening reminder of
the amount of power the federal government has today and its ability
to abuse it.
84 Comments
Indian Court Orders 104 Sites Censored Based On The Say So Of The
Indian Music Industry (Free Speech)
by Mike Masnick from the censorship-by-any-other-name dept on Monday,
March 19th, 2012 @ 9:32AM
Torrentfreak notes the interesting timing on this one. Just as MPAA
boss Chris Dodd was in India talking up the importance of stricter
copyright laws (like SOPA), an Indian court ordered a SOPA-like block
of 104 sites that were declared as "dedicated to infringement" by the
Indian Music Industry (IMI). What's interesting is that as you look
down the list of blocked sites, they include many that appear to focus
on movies, not music -- so it's not clear why IMI gets to decide
what's infringing and what's not.

Reading some of the details, it's pretty clear that the sites in
question were not given a chance to present their side in court. In
fact, it appears that even the IMI bosses admit that they haven't yet
proved that all of those sites are infringing:
Taking the sites to court is not humanly feasible: when we went after
one site, we got the impression that the owner was in the US, based
out of the Bahamas, and it was very difficult to get him to respond.
Our person has to pose as an advertiser before the owner came on an
email, and we eventually found that it was a young kid in Rajkot, and
the entire process took six months. Going after 104 sites – can you
imagine the effort, the time and the money spent in chasing this? The
better route is to establish comprehensively that each ofthese 104
sites is pirating content, and we’re doing that – as a body and not a
company – and it’s easier to interact with the ISP now.
In other words, shoot first, deal with the fallout of incorrect
censorship later.

Not surprisingly, the head of the IFPI (the international RIAA)
cheered on this result:
“This decision is a victory for the rule of law online and a blow to
those illegal businesses that want to build revenues by violating the
rights of others,” said IFPI CEO Frances Moore in a statement.

But in a clear signal that for the music and movie industries even the
toughest of anti-piracy measures are never enough, Moore says that
current developments are a good start.

“The court ruled that blocking is a proportionate and effective way to
tackle website piracy,” Moore noted, adding that the Indian government
should now “build on this progress” by advancing further legislation
to tackle digital piracy.
The situation here seems extreme and disproportionate. Not only have
the serious problems with DNS and IP blocking been described
concerning internet security, but it's pretty clear that efforts like
this don't work. There are already reports of sites from the list
reappearing under different domain names, and all the court order is
doing is spreading the game of whac-a-mole. Amusingly, the same Indian
music exec who made the claim above about how it's impossible to
actually track down these sites, later (in the same interview) admits
he doesn't want to shut down these sites, because they have a "passion
for music" and he'd like to work out deals with them. Of course,
getting a court order to block access to their existing sites is a
funny way to say "hey, I'd like to work with you."
57 Comments
Judge Chooses Pi Day To Reject Lawsuit Over Attempt To Copyright Pi As
A Song (Copyright)
by Mike Masnick from the can't-copyright-facts dept on Monday, March
19th, 2012 @ 8:25AM
Last year, we wrote about a dispute between two guys who had both
recorded songs based on the number pi. A guy named Lars Erickson had
recorded The Pi Symphony back in 1992 and registered a copyright on
the output. It was based on assigning notes to the numbers 0 to 9,
then playing them according to the sequence of pi. On March 14th, 2011
-- also known as Pi Day, since the 3/14 date matches the 3.14
beginning of pi -- musician Michael Blake came up with a similar idea.
According to NPR's report on the song:
He decided the song would be in C, then assigned each note a number:
C=1, D=2 and so on up through 9. Using those assignments, he played
the sequence of pi: 3.14159 through 31 decimal places. He assigned
numbers to chords, too, but could only play the chords every other
note and still make it sound vaguely musical.

Finally, he used pi as the basis for the tempo — it's 157 beats per
minute, which is half of 314. He played this part on several
instruments, as you can see in the video above, and layered them to
make a song. The result isn't exactly catchy, but it's certainly
melodic.
Apparently Erickson got upset about this -- though he admits he was
mainly upset that his own comments on the YouTube video of Blake's
song were deleted. So he filed a lawsuit claiming copyright
infringement.

Blake successfully had the lawsuit transferred from Nebraska to
Portland, Oregon, and has now succeeded in having the case dismissed,
with the ruling itself issued on March 14 -- Pi Day once again. The
ruling is embedded below, and it's a worthwhile read, highlighting the
limitations of copyright. It actually goes into a fairly detailed
description of the separation between ideas and expression, as well as
questions about "substantial similarity." The conclusion:
The primary similarity between Pi Symphony and "What Pi Sounds Like"
is the musical pattern formed by transposing the digits of pi to a set
of musical notes. That pattern is not protected by Mr. Erickson’s
copyright for Pi Symphony. Pi is a non-copyrightable fact, and the
transcription of pi to music is a non-copyrightable idea. The
resulting pattern of notes is an expression that merges with the non-
copyrightable idea of putting pi to music: assigning digits to musical
notes and playing those notes in the sequence of pi is an idea that
can only be expressed in a finite number of ways. This does not mean
that Mr. Erickson’s copyright is invalid, only that Mr. Erickson may
not use his copyright to stop others from employing this particular
pattern of musical notes.

What may be protected by copyright is the combination of that pattern
with other musical elements: the choice of scale, rhythm, harmony, and
embellishments or variation, for example.... Pi Symphony and "What Pi
Sounds Like" employ different rhythms, different phrasing, different
harmonies, and different tempos. The court does not agree with Mr.
Erickson that the melodies of Pi Symphony and "What Pi Sounds Like"
are sufficiently similar in their cadence or tempo to raise a question
of substantial similarity. If there are additional similarities that
relate to protectable elements of Mr. Erickson’s musical work, those
similarities are minor and scattered throughout the work. For one work
to be substantially similar to another, more than incidental and
occasional similarities are required....

Thus, after the similarities based on unprotected elements of Pi
Symphony are set aside, very few--if any--similarities remain. Mr.
Erickson’s copyright is therefore “thin” and protects his work only
from virtually identical copying...
The court also dismisses Erickson's claim of "unfair competition,"
noting that what appeared to be straight up jealousy is no reason for
a legal claim:
Copyright protects against the copying of original elements of an
author’s work. It does not protect the copyright holder's goodwill,
market status, or artistic success. It does not even protect the
author's hard work in being the first to create a compilation of
information otherwise available in the public domain. See Feist, 499
U.S. at 359-360 (rejecting the “sweat of the brow” theory of copyright
protection). These limitations derive from the constitutional basis of
copyright, which is “To promote the Progress of Science and useful
Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the
exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.” U.S.
Const. art. 1, sec. 8, cl. 8. Copyright is thus intended to protect
the original work of authors without granting monopolies over facts or
ideas that would hinder further progress.... Given statutory law, the
Constitution, and Supreme Court precedent, Mr. Erickson cannot use his
copyright to stop Mr. Blake from employing the same idea—the
transcription of the digits of pi to musical notes.
Nice to see the court lay out the reasoning so clearly. It's unclear
if the court recognized the symbolic nature of issuing the ruling on
Pi Day, but either way, it was a nice move.
Read More | 31 Comments
Senators Tell The Obama Administration To Reveal Its Secret
Interpretation Of The Patriot Act (Privacy)
by Mike Masnick from the and-again-and-again dept on Monday, March
19th, 2012 @ 7:06AM
Over the last year or so, we've been covering Senator Ron Wyden's
efforts to get Obama administration officials to come public with
theirsecret interpretation of the Patriot Act. Wyden, of course,
cannot say how they're interpreting the Patriot Act, though there have
been clues, suggesting an extremely broad interpretation, that
effectively allows them to spy on Americans, in direct contrast to the
way most people (including many in Congress) believe the law allows.
In the past, intelligence officials have basically said that they will
not reveal how they interpret the Patriot Act because they don't want
to, and doing so might reveal some of the details of how they spy on
people.

Of course, keeping certain details secret concerning specific
operations to monitor threats is reasonable. But a secret
interpretation of the law that appears to go against what the law says
directly? That's not acceptable. If the government can just make up
how it interprets laws, and then keep those interpretations secret, we
no longer have representative democracy at all. We have a sham
government.

Given all of this, the NY Times and the ACLU sued the government for
failing to reveal its interpretation of the law under a Freedom of
Information Act. The administration is now seeking to get the two
lawsuits dismissed... leading Senators Wyden and Udall to send a
rather direct and forceful letter to Attorney General Holder
questioning this move. I'll include a bunch of snippets below, but one
key bit in this letter, which I believe is new, is the acknowledgement
that further information that Wyden and Udall have come across suggest
that the secret surveillance operation that makes use of this secret
interpretation of the law is not even effective:
We would also note that in recent months we have grown increasingly
skeptical about the actual value of the "intelligence collection
operation" discussed in the Justice Department's recent court filing
regarding the pending lawsuits. This has come as a surprise to us, as
we were initially inclined to take the executive branch's assertions
about the importance of this "operation" at face value. We will
provide more detail about this skepticism in classified correspondence.
That's a pretty pointed claim, and certainly makes clear another
reason why the administration is fighting so hard against revealing
the secret interpretation. They know that once people find out just
how widely they're tracking people under this bogus interpretation of
the law, that not only will people be upset about it, but that the
administration won't even be able to prove that such efforts did
anything to prevent terrorism in the country.

On to some other key parts of the letter:
It is a matter of public record that section 215, which is a public
statute, has been the subject of secret legal interpretations. The
existences of these interpretations, which are contained in classified
opinions issued by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (or
"FISA Court") has been acknowledged on multiple occasions by the
Justice Department and other executive branch officials.

We believe most Americans would be stunned to learn the details of how
these secret court opinions have interpreted section 215 of the
Patriot Act. As we see it, there is now a significant gap between what
most Americans thinkthe law allows and what the government secretly
claims the law allows. This is a problem, because it is impossible to
have an informed public debate about what the law should say when the
public doesn't know what its government thinks the law says.
That seems like quite an understatement. It really makes you wonder
what country we live in today. I'm fine with the government keeping
certain things secret -- but one thing that it should never keep
secret is the law itself. That's not a democracy any more at all, a
point made in the letter as well:
In a democratic society -- in which the government derives its power
from the consent of the people -- citizens rightly expect that their
government will not arbitrarily keep information from them. Americans
expect their government to operate within the boundaries of publicly-
understood law, and as voters they have a need and a right to now how
the law is being interpreted, so that they can ratify or reject
decisions made on their behalf. To put it another way, Americans know
that their government will sometimes conduct secret operations, but
they don't think that government officials should be writing secret
laws.
Later, the letter notes that the administration certainly has been
willing to reveal this secret interpretation to some members of
Congress (such as the two of them), but it appears that even many
members of Congress have no idea how the administration is
interpreting the law:
While the executive branch has worked hard to keep the government's
official interpretation of the Patriot Act secret from the American
public it has, to its credit, provided this information in documents
submitted to Congress. However, these documents are so highly
classified that most members of Congress do not have any staff who are
cleared to read them. As a result, we can say with confidence that
most of our colleagues in the House and senate are unfamiliar with
these documents, and that many of them would be surprised and angry to
learn how the Patriot Act has been interpreted in secret.
Wyden and Udall are equally troubled by the insistence by the
administration that it needs to keep its interpretation of these laws
secret to prevent adversaries from understanding what's being done.
They point out that this is "chilling logic" as it could mean that the
government could basically create all sorts of secret intelligence laws:
The crux of the Justice Department's argument for keeping the official
interpretation of the law secret is that this secrecy prevents US
adversaries from understanding exactly what intelligence agencies are
allowed to do. We can see how it might be tempting to latch on to this
chilling logic, but we would note that it would then follow that all
of America's surveillance laws should be secret, because that would
make it even harder to guess how the United States government collects
information. For example, when Congress passed the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance ct in 1978 it would have been useful to keep
that law secret from the KGB, so that Soviet agents would not know how
the FBI was allowed to track them. But American laws should not be
made public only when government officials find it convenient. They
should be public all the time, and every American should be able to
find out what their government thinks those laws mean.
There's a lot more in the full letter, but it's difficult not to be
furious about the sense of entitlement the administration has over
this. Keeping details of investigations secret is perfectly
reasonable. But keeping a secret interpretation of the law secret --
and one that lets them do much greater surveillance than what the law
appears to state in plain language, is a significant problem for those
who believe in a working democracy and representative government.
Read More | 88 Comments
Procedural Error By Law Enforcement Means Restraining Order On Kim
Dotcom 'Null And Void' (Failures)
by Mike Masnick from the oops dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012 @ 5:34AM
We've already seen that the claims made by law enforcement in the
indictment against Megaupload has raised significant legal questions,
as they seemed to assume all sorts of things not necessarily factually-
based. Part of that overreach resulted in a New Zealand judge granting
Kim Dotcom bail despite US authorities insisting that the court keep
him locked up. Now things are getting even worse, as a court has
declared the restraining order issued in the case as "null and void"
and having "no legal effect" after law enforcement admitted to making
a significant series of procedural errors. The end result may mean
that everything seized from Dotcom -- including his money, cars and
other goods... may need to be returned.

The police apparently realized this and tried to apply for the proper
restraining order after the fact, explaining to the judge that they
had made five specific errors in the initial application. The judge is
now figuring out what to do and whether or not this means that the
government needs to return Dotcom's property. Of course, there's a
good chance that the judge will allow the government to continue to
hold the property and admit merely that "mistakes were made" and that
they've now been corrected. However, given how many mistakes we've
already seen in this case -- and the apparent carelessness with which
so much of it happened -- it leads you to wonder how many other
"errors" or shortcuts law enforcement in both New Zealand and the US
took in bringing this case forward.

It's no secret that Dotcom's larger-than-life persona has been an easy
target in the attacks on Megaupload, but it's beginning to appear that
law enforcement assumed that just because the guy is an obnoxious show-
off with a criminal past that it didn't need to actually follow all
the rules in bringing a case against him this time. That's not how the
judicial system is supposed to work.
82 Comments
FAA Admits That It's Going To Rethink Whether You Can Use Kindles &
Tablets On Takeoff & Landing ((Mis)Uses of Technology)
by Mike Masnick from the about-time dept on Monday, March 19th, 2012 @
3:33AM
It's been pretty clear for quite some time that there's no real safety
reason why electronics are barred during takeoff and landing on
airplanes. Furthermore, there's no legitimate technological reason for
not allowing mobile phones on planes either -- that one's more just
about keeping other passengers from going into a rage at having to
hear others' half-conversations. However, it seems that more and more
people are getting annoyed that they can't use their snazzy new ebooks
or tablet computers (not just iPads, mind you) on airplane take-off
and landings. Nick Bilton, over at the NY Times, asked the FAA what
was up with that, and they admitted that they're taking "a fresh look"
at those devices and whether or n ot they should be allowed to be used
at those times. Of course, as he notes, this might just lead to a
bunch of bureaucratic red tape -- including every possible device
having to go through significant testing:
Abby Lunardini, vice president of corporate communications at Virgin
America, explained that the current guidelines require that an airline
must test each version of a single device before it can be approved by
the F.A.A. For example, if the airline wanted to get approval for the
iPad, it would have to test the first iPad, iPad 2 and the new iPad,
each on a separate flight, with no passengers on the plane.

It would have to do the same for every version of the Kindle. It would
have to do it for every different model of plane in its fleet. And
American, JetBlue, United, Air Wisconsin, etc., would have to do the
same thing. (No wonder the F.A.A. is keeping smartphones off the table
since there are easily several hundred different models on the market.)

Ms. Lunardini added that Virgin America would like to perform these
tests, but the current guidelines make it “prohibitively expensive,
especially for an airline with a relatively small fleet that is always
in the air on commercial flights like ours.”
But, hopefully, a better, more efficient process can be found, and
people will actually be able to use these devices on airplanes that
aren't just over 10,000 feet...
60 Comments
Visit Techdirt.

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing list
subscription:
You are subscribed to the following list:
Techdirt Daily
using the following email:
geert at desk.nl
You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by
visiting the following URL:
http://listserv.techdirt.com/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/techdirt/geert@desk.nl
If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the
entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break
this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.
You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main
screen:
http://listserv.techdirt.com/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/list/techdirt
If you're still having trouble, please contact us by using this form:
http://www.techdirt.com/sendfeedback.php