::fibreculture:: Masterclasses: Hacking Finance Capital and Digital Ethnography

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Tue Oct 27 08:53:24 CET 2015

Digital Infrastructures and Economy Masterclasses
Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University
http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ics/home
Venue: EB3.17 Parramatta South

10.30-12.30 – Tomás Ariztía, ‘Researching Knowledge Making Practices in
Market Settings: From Creative Spaces to Digital Infrastructures’

Register for this masterclass at:
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/masterclass-with-tomas-ariztia-tickets-19245340331
http://tinyurl.com/o4sbtoh

2-4pm – Akseli Virtanen, ‘Finance as a Place of Creation: Hacking
Finance Capital with Parasitical Algorithms’

Register for this masterclass at:
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/masterclass-with-akseli-virtanen-tickets-19245415556
http://tinyurl.com/qeb3qst

Summaries

Tomás Ariztía, Universidad Diego Portales

‘Researching Knowledge Making Practices in Market Settings: From
Creative Spaces to Digital Infrastructures’

This seminar focuses on discussing some methodological issues regarding
doing fieldwork in knowledge spaces in markets. In particular, the
seminar will present and discuss some of the strategies and devices I
have used in order to deal with challenges that distributed knowledge
practices and devices posit to an ethnographic approach. The first part
of the seminar will consider a 30-40 minutes presentation of some of the
research I have done on knowledge practices (with emphasis on my latter
project on data mining/transactional data practices). This will be
followed by an open discussion in terms of how to design, think and do
fieldwork for researching knowledge in the digital age.

Tomás Ariztía is Associate Professor at the Department of Sociology at
Diego Portales University, Chile. His research is concerned with
Consumption Studies – particularly Social Studies of Marketing,
Sustainable Consumption and energy – and Sociology of knowledge. He is
particularly interested on how consumers are mobilized in marketing
knowledge practices. He has conducted fieldwork in advertising agencies
and marketing departments and is currently involved in a three year
research project focused on comparing Big Data, Design Thinking and
Market Research as different knowledge grammars through which social
entities are enacted in markets. Recently he edited the book Produciendo
lo social: usos de las ciencias sociales en el Chile reciente (Ediciones
UDP, 2012), which explored the connections between social sciences and
the production of social
worlds.http://www.icso.cl/investigadores/tomas-ariztia-larrain/

Akseli Virtanen, Robin Hood Minor Asset Management Cooperative

‘Finance as a Place of Creation: Hacking Finance Capital with
Parasitical Algorithms’

Robin Hood Asset Management Cooperative is an experiment in the creation
of new social and economic forms. It is an algorithmic hedge fund
synthetically imitating the emerging conventions of the financial
oligarchy at the U.S. stock market, assembled as a cooperative, and
operating programs of common equity and protection of the common. In
this workshop we try to open up some of the background thinking, some of
the things we have learned, the dead ends we have met, and why it has
become necessary for Robin Hood to now take on a new and more monstrous
form – as a financial platform of the future. Finance is a place of
creation. What new possibilities does appropriating and reengineering
financial technologies together with the organizational possibilities of
blockchain technology offer for today’s workers, makers, co-creators,
peers, crowds becoming new kind of economic operators?

Akseli Virtanen is a theorist of new political economy, born in Finland
and currently based in Santa Cruz, California. He is a co-founder of
Robin Hood Asset Management Cooperative, an activist hedge fund,
currently in the process of taking on a new more monstrous form as a
financial platform of the future. Akseli’s recent books include
Arbitrary Power: A Contribution Towards a Critique of Biopolitical
Economy (n-1 Edições, forthcoming 2015). http://www.robinhoodcoop.org/