[Filmfestivalresearch] Film Festival Gatherings @ SCMS New Orleans, Friday, March 11

ger zielinski, ph.d. geraldzielinski at trentu.ca
Mon Feb 28 20:43:05 CET 2011

Dear Festival Researchers,

For those of you attending SCMS New Orleans next week, please take note
of the following two meetings, one formal (the inaugural General Meeting
of the Film Festival Scholarly Interest Group for SCMS), and the other
informal (“Cinq à Sept” drinks and conversation at the famous Old
Absinthe House)! Both events take place on Friday, March 11, also
following two panels the same day. Once the General Meeting wraps up, we
will stroll over to the Absinthe House. We hope to see you there!

http://www.cmstudies.org/?page=2011_conf_schedule

(1) General Meeting of All Members of the (Proposed) Film Festival
Interest Group
Review of the proposed SIG mission statement and elections of
co-ordinators.
Session G at 3:15-5:00 PM on Friday, March 11 in the Boardroom, Level
Two, Ritz Carlton Hotel

(2) Pre-Dinner “Cinq à Sept” for Film Festival Researchers, Friends, and
Their Admirers
5-7 PM, Friday, March 11, 2011

Venue: Old Absinthe House, 240 Bourbon Street, New Orleans (+1 504 523-3181)

Located a few blocks from the conference hotel. The gathering follows
the General Meeting (3:15-5 PM) for the proposed Film Festival Interest
Group (SIG) at SCMS. The time was chosen to allow greatest mobility:
after the panels, before dinner, before the university parties and other
gatherings. (Look for a few sheets of white paper with the word
“FESTIVAL” written on them! That should adequately identify us, in case
you missed the earlier meeting.) Hope you can fit it into your busy
schedules!

(Directions from Ritz Carlton Hotel: walk two streets south along Canal
Street, turn left onto Bourbon Street. Pass Iberville Street, Old
Absinthe House is on the right, just before Bienville Street.)

On the Old Absinthe House:
“Many celebrities have been welcomed through our doors in the nearly two
centuries since its opening -- including Oscar Wilde, P.T. Barnum, Mark
Twain, Jenny Lind, Enrico Caruso, General Robert E Lee, Franklin
Roosevelt, Liza Minelli and Frank Sinatra. Indeed, the walls throughout
this incredible building are covered in the framed photographs of
several of our famous patrons.” (from the history section of the site below)

http://www.experienceneworleans.com/ruebourbon/oldabsinthehouse/index.html

--
Ger Zielinski, PhD
Assistant Professor of Media