[Filmfestivalresearch] General CFP: SCMS Boston 2012

ger zielinski, ph.d. geraldzielinski at trentu.ca
Tue Jul 5 16:13:10 CEST 2011

Dear Festival Researchers,

Please find below the general call for proposals for the SCMS conference
that will take place in Boston in March 2012.

Over the next week we will assemble a few suggested pre-constituted
panel and workshop themes and announce them over the listserv. Of
course, if you would like to suggest a particular topic on festivals to
us or the entire list, please feel free to do so. The deadline for
submissions to such panels and workshop will be the beginning of August.

In the past a few panels were rejected, so I include a practical formula
for proposal writing below. It is important to be attentive to the
particular expectations of the host organization (see SCMS conference
FAQ below!).

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU BECOME MEMBERS OF THE SCMS FILM AND MEDIA
FESTIVAL SCHOLARLY INTEREST GROUP (SIG) - see 'Caucuses/Groups/Orgs,'
then follow 'Scholarly Interest Groups' and scroll to foot of
description of group. Your membership makes a difference to the life of
the group!
http://www.cmstudies.org/?page=groups_filmfestivals
(To join this group you will have to be a member of SCMS; to submit a
proposal to SCMS you will also have to be a member!)

We wish you a continued wonderful summer!
_____

Boston 2012 Call for Paper, Panel, and Workshop Proposals

The Society for Cinema and Media Studies announces its call for paper,
panel, and workshop proposals for the 2012 conference to be held
Wednesday, March 21 through Sunday, March 25 at the Boston Park Plaza
Hotel and Towers.

One of the oldest cities in the United States, Boston is renowned as the
heart of the American academy and thus as a vibrant center of critical
thought and discourse. The city boasts many colleges and universities,
including several with cinema and media studies programs, as well as a
vibrant independent media community and a long history of public radio
and television.

The Program Committee welcomes quality paper, panel, and workshop
proposals on any topic related to cinema and media studies.

The deadline for proposals for open call papers as well as
pre-constituted panels and workshops is Thursday September 1, 2011 (5:00
pm CST). Details as to how to propose a paper, panel, or workshop will
be available very soon through the SCMS website. Please check the
website and watch for our emails for updates.

Accepted and declined proposal notifications will be emailed in late
November.

SCMS Boston 2012 Call for submissions:
http://www.cmstudies.org/?page=call_for_submissions

Useful general information on the SCMS conference:
http://www.cmstudies.org/?page=conference_faq

Useful practical suggestions on writing a successful conference proposal:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4867517_write-academic-conference-proposal.html

--
Ger Zielinski, PhD
Assistant Professor of Media