[Filmfestivalresearch] Film Festival Research - Call for researchparticipation

Sumanta Barua sumantabarua at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 18:42:01 CET 2013

Dear Tyrone

Although my research in not on fraudulent activity by film festivals, yet it has appeared often during my interviews to understand filmmakers' experiences at film festivals. I will share some of them with you to keep this email brief.

During my interviews in UK, Ireland and India in the last yew years, I was told that there are number of festivals that charge hefty fees and their marketing literature promises a lot, but fails to deliver. Data analysis has shown that younger or early career filmmakers tends to end up visiting such festivals more than others, and the underlying reasons include desperation to kick start their career, they feel valued during pre-festival correspondences with the organisers etc. Mid career to established filmmakers often use selective criteria to visit festivals, including, their own experience and industry knowledge, segmentation, word-of-mouth etc.

Interestingly, the word ‘fraudulent’ has also been used by some filmmakers to define some genuine film festivals as the festival failed to communicate clearly its aims and objectives. For example, in 2010 I interviewed an Iranian filmmaker who went to an Indian film festival, this filmmaker was very disappointed to see that there were fewer films by non-Indian filmmakers although it marketed itself as international film festival. He thought the organisers were frauds (although the festival was free to participate at that time). During the interviews, organisers mentioned that they called their festival international because it had films (Indian) that were shown at international film festivals as well as few films made by foreign filmmakers, but their priority was to offer platform to early stage Indian filmmakers.

Other findings during my data collection on audiences (who visit film festivals regularly) as well as filmmakers include a trend where increasingly early career filmmakers and audiences are relying on word-of-mouth advice from friends and family to avoid fraudulent festivals. And online public forums and social media are facilitating such recommendations too.

If you have any question or if you would like to know more about the research, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes

Sumanta Barua