[Filmfestivalresearch] FW: Pre-Constituted Workshop: Film Festivals as a Pedagogical Tool

Ger Zielinski geraldzielinski at trentu.ca
Tue Aug 5 23:38:56 CEST 2014

FYI?

details below!

--
Ger Zielinski, PhD
Assistant Professor of Film and Media
Cultural Studies Department
Catherine Parr Traill College, Scott House 202
Trent University
300 London Street
Peterborough, ON K9H 7P4 Canada

T: +1 705 748 1011 X6113 (Office: Traill College, Wallis Hall 113)
F: +1 705 748 1826
http://www.trentu.ca/culturalstudies/faculty_zielinski.php
________________________________
From: Hall, Dawn <dawn.hall at wku.edu>

Workshop Title:  Film Festivals as a Pedagogical Tool: Film & Media Study Away/Abroad Courses and Campus Film Festivals

Organizers: Dr. E. Dawn Hall (dawn.hall at wku.edu<mailto:dawn.hall at wku.edu>), Associate Professor in English, Western Kentucky University / Dr. Eric Pierson (epierson at sandiego.edu<mailto:epierson at sandiego.edu>), Associate Professor in Communication Studies, University of San Diego.

Are you experienced in cultivating campus film festivals (that highlight student and professional work) and/or developing and teaching media related study away or abroad courses? Cultivating both a film festival course and hosting a campus film festival contributes to the production oriented and film studies areas of a film or media program, engages students, and builds student resumes. Presenters will discuss successes, potential problem areas, student engagement ideas and gaining/utilizing administrative support for teaching film and media related off campus courses and hosting on campus film festivals. We invite two to three more workshop presenters depending on response.

Below are topics we hope to explore with our workshop: (not exclusive)

Campus Film Festival

-creating an engaging and manageable campus film culture

-cultivating and maintaining a campus film festival (48 hour challenge and larger)

-budget management and considerations for campus film festivals

-best practices for engaging and enlisting students in film festival committees and/or student participation

Film & Media Study Away/Abroad Courses

-developing and teaching film or media related study away or abroad courses

-utilizing students/faculty/administrators during study away courses to attract industry personnel for campus visits

-marketing and attracting students to film/media courses and programs

- student friendly film festivals vs. non-student friendly

-textbook choices and supplemental material

-onsite guest speaker options

Workshop Goals:

This workshop is designed to create dialogue and engagement with short "presentations" from the participants and an emphasis on a "think tank" discussion. Our workshop will invite attendees to discuss their experiences, successes, failures, and innovated ideas related to film festival pedagogy on and off campus.

Proposal:

Please email us 1) a short summary focusing on what you will share (with emphasis on how it will engage the audience) 2) 1-2 bibliographic sources, 3) bios no longer than 500 characters per bio for each presenter. The summary should explain why the topic is suited to a workshop format and how you will involve the audience.

Email your proposal (in the body of the email, not as an attachment) to both Dawn Hall (dawn.hall at wku.edu) and Eric Pierson (eric.pierson at usd.edu) by July 28th. We plan to inform those, who submit a proposal, of our decision within a week of the above deadline. Our goal is to submit the completed workshop proposal no later than August 10th.

SCMS guidelines for Workshops:

Workshops are distinct from panels in that they focus on field-specific topics with brief presentations by presenters that lead to focused substantive discussion and debate among workshop participants and the audience. Workshops are intended to be dialogical, interactive, and productive work spaces. Topics are typically focused on pedagogy, research strategies, and methodologies.

E. Dawn Hall
Assistant Professor of English, PhD
School of University Studies
Western Kentucky University