[Filmfestivalresearch] Movies that Matter News: Risky Screenings

Movies that Matter international at moviesthatmatter.nl
Wed Dec 9 15:35:28 CET 2015

Deze email nieuwsbrief werd in grafisch HTML formaat verzonden.
Als u deze tekstversie ziet, verkiest uw email programma "gewone tekst" emails.
U kan de originele nieuwsbrief online bekijken:
http://ymlp391.com/zEBGVi

If you cannot read this newsletter, please click here for the online
version (
http://www.moviesthatmatter.nl/nieuwsbrief_internationaal/11/Movies+that+Matter+News%3A+Risky+Screenings
)

December 2015

Risky Screenings

Screening socially engaged films can be risky business. In this
newsletter, we ask your attention for our Malaysian colleague Lena
Hendry, who is on trial for screening the award-winning documentary No
Fire Zone. Also, we present the film events Movies that Matter
recently decided to support, including those in the Sahara desert,
Colombia, Indonesia, Moldova, Pakistan, Palestine and
Senegal. Despite the difficult circumstances, we are pleased that
many people still dare to show stories that matter on the big screen.

Support Lena Hendry

Our colleague Lena Hendry, organiser of the Freedom Film Fest in
Malaysia, is currently on trial for screening the award-winning film
No Fire Zone: the Killing Fields of Sri Lanka. The Sri Lankan
government actively tried to prevent screenings of this documentary,
about the killing of thousands of Tamil people in 2009. Lena is
charged for screening the film in Kuala Lumpur without explicit
government approval in July 2013. When she is found guilty, she risks
a heavy fine and/or a prison sentence. Please support Lena by signing
this petition. ( http://tinyurl.com/jfl28qa )

Read more about Lena's case (
http://www.humanrightsfilmnetwork.org/node/205 )

40 members for Human Rights Film Network

The Human Rights Film Network is very pleased to welcome two new
members. The network is an informal partnership of currently 40 film
festivals that are actively promoting human rights cinema. Movies that
Matter runs the secretariat of the network. The new members are Ciné
Doit Libre Abidjan (
https://www.facebook.com/Cine-Droit-Libre-Abidjan-391652180887877/ )
in Ivory Coast, and the international human rights and film festival
Humans Fest (
http://www.festivalinternacionalcineyderechoshumanos.com/ ) in
Valencia, Spain. Members of the Human Rights Film Network recently
convened during IDFA.

www.humanrightsfilmnetwork.org

Supported projects

Organising film festivals about human rights is not easy. This is
particularly true in (post-)conflict regions or places where freedom
of expression is under threat. That is why Movies that Matter supports
such brave initiatives. A good example is the African Bamba Human
Rights Film Festival ( http://www.africanbamba.org ) in Senegal (
http://www.africanbamba.org ). In March 2016 this  festival will
screen films and host discussions about homosexuality in Africa, still
a taboo and even a criminal offence in many African countries. In May
2016, the second edition of the Palestine Red Carpet Human Rights Film
Festival ( http://lama-film.net/ ) will be launched at Gaza
International Airport. Other supported cinema projects include those
in Nigeria, Sudan, Senegal, Algeria, Moldova, Montenegro, Venezuela,
Colombia, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Indonesia and Pakistan.Read more about
these supported projects (
/english_index/international/support_programme/supported_projects/supported_projects_2015
)

Movies that Matter nominated for Impact Award

Great news! The International Support Programme of Movies that Matter
is nominated for the Impact Award, an initiative of the Dutch
programme Art of Impact. It is the first art award for non-artists.
Movies that Matter is nominated  because of its innovative
combination of grants, workshops, events and advice, encouraging
screenings of socially engaged films and driving discussions on human
rights in developing countries. The award ceremony takes place on 14
December.

Read more here (in Dutch) (
http://theartofimpact.nl/nominaties-impact-award-bekend/ )

10 December, Human Rights Day

Film has an unprecedented capacity to open eyes. What cannot be
accomplished by spoken and written language, is sometimes achieved by
motion picture. Therefore, we encourage Dutch diplomats to organise
film screenings on 10 December, International Human Rights Day. Movies
that Matter offers them a menu of five high-quality films: Burden of
Peace (
/english_index/festival/programma_en/film_en/1774/Burden+of+Peace )
(Joey Boink), E-TEAM (
/english_index/festival/programma_en/film_en/1782/E-TEAM ) (Katy
Chevigny/Ross Kauffman), The Shelter (
/english_index/festival/programma_en/film_en/1720/Shelter%2C+The )
(Fernand Melgar), Stories of Our Lives (
/english_index/festival/programma_en/film_en/1804/Stories+of+Our+Lives
)(Jim Chuchu) and Timbuktu (
/english_index/festival/programma_en/film_en/1809/Timbuktu
)(Abderrahmane Sissako). More than 35 Dutch embassies worldwide are
expected to host film screenings and debates.