[Filmfestivalresearch] Suggested books, university course on "Film Festivals"?

Jeffrey K. Ruoff Jeffrey.K.Ruoff at dartmouth.edu
Tue Apr 3 17:46:27 CEST 2018

Dear FFS colleagues,

I’m going to teach a course on “Film Festivals” for the second time this summer, in Edinburgh, while attending EIFF.

It’s a ten-week course for undergraduates, many of them Film majors.

I’m wondering if you would be so kind as to suggest additional (English-language) readings (i.e., books), to supplement those below that I plan on assigning.

Of course, I’m familiar with Dina Iordanova’s remarkable series of Film Festival Yearbooks, not listed below.

As you can see, I’m not only referencing scholarly works, either.

Here are the books I plan on assigning:

Two Weeks in the Midday Sun: A Cannes Notebook, Roger Ebert, Andrews and McMeel, 1987
Sundance to Sarajevo: Film Festivals and the World They Made, Kenneth Turan, Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002
How the Movie Brats Took Over Edinburgh, Matt Lloyd, St Andrews: St Andrews Film Studies, 2009
The Berlinale, The Festival, Peter Cowie, Berlin: Bertz + Fischer, 2010
Coming Soon to a Festival Near You, Jeffrey Ruoff, ed., St Andrews: St Andrews Film Books, 2012
Film Festivals: History, Theory, Method, Practice, Marijke de Valck, Brendan Kredell, Skadi Loist, eds., Routledge, 2016
Telluride in the Film Festival Galaxy, Jeffrey Ruoff, St Andrews: St Andrews Film Books, 2016

Below are additional books I might consider. I’d appreciate hearing your experiences with undergraduates teaching any of these works.

And I’d be grateful for additional suggestions.

Yours in scholarship and teaching,

Jeffrey

Additional books listed in chronological order of publication:

Party in a Box: The Story of the Sundance Film Festival, Lory Smith, Gibbs Smith, 1999
Cannes: Inside the World’s Premiere Film Festial, Kieron Corless, Faber & Faber, 2007
Film Festivals: From European Geopolitics to Global Cinephilia, Marijke de Valck, University of Amsterdam, 2007
Chris Gore's Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide, The Essential Companion for Filmmakers, 4th edition, Watson-Guptill, 2009
Dekalog3: On Film Festivals, Richard Porton, ed., Wallflower Press, 2009
Film Festivals: Culture, People, and Power on the Global Screen, Cindy Wong, Rutgers University Press, 2011
The Pusan International Film Festival, South Korean Cinema and Globalization, SooJeong Ahn, Hong Kong University Press , 2011
Behind the Screens: Programmers Reveal How Film Festivals Really Work, Jon Gann, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2012
The Complete Filmmaker's Guide to Film Festivals: Your All Access Pass, Rona Edwards, Michael Wiese Productions, 2012
New York Film Festival Gold: A 50th Anniversary Celebration, Laura Kern, Richard Peña, and Joanne Koch (eds.), Film Society, 2012
Sustainable Projections: Concepts in Film Festival Management, Alex Fischer, St Andrews Film Studies, 2013
The Film Festival Reader, Dina Iordanova, St Andrews: St Andrews Film Studies, 2015
Curating Africa in the Age of Film Festivals, L. Dovey, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015
So You Want to Start a Film Festival?: Conversations with Top Festival Creators, Jon Gann, CreateSpace Independent Publishing, 2015
Film Programming: Curating for Cinemas, Festivals, Archives, Peter Bosma, Wallflower Press, 2015
Activist Film Festivals: Towards a Political Subject, Sonia Tascón and Tyson Wils, eds., Intellect Ltd, 2017

Film and Media Studies
Tel: (603) 646-1553 (office landline)
www.facebook.com/jeffrey.ruoff.3<http://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.ruoff.3>
www.dartmouth.edu/~jruoff, www.pilobolusfilm.com