[Filmfestivalresearch] RUSSIA: SIDE BY SIDE - support needed!

Manny de Guerre manny at bok-o-bok.ru
Sat Aug 10 14:50:50 CEST 2019

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

As you may well know the situation in Russia concerning LGBT / human rights
is once again becoming more difficult.

Side by Side too is feeling the new wave of pressure and in the last year
and a half our opponents have increased significantly their attack on the
festival, often using criminal measures that go unpunished to stop and
disrupt the important work that we are doing.

This spring in Moscow
<https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/despite-bomb-threats-and-acid-attacks-the-rainbow-flag-flew-over-moscow/#gs.t3oyh1>
our festival, 23 - 26 May, 2019 faced unprecedented attack: unsanctioned
pickets, nationalist, neo-nazi, orthodox groups gathering outside venues
displaying threatening aggressive behaviour, verbal abuse, acid attacks,
hoax bomb threats. The opposition was unrelenting and each day major
disruption was caused, further complicated by police inaction and their
lack of willingness to bring situations under control.

In Autumn Saint Petersburg
<https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2018/10/25/anti-gay-russian-lawmaker-disrupts-opening-of-lgbt-film-festival-a63304>,
24 October - 1 November, 2018 the situation was similar, politicians
disrupting events, organisers and festival partners being harassed by
police and prosecutors, hoax bomb threats.

*Many of the actions taken against the festival are criminal but not one
person has been brought to justice and punished. *

It is paramount that our festival goes forward in the safest conditions as
possible but this leads to increasing security costs and legal support.

In order to raise the necessary funds we are conducting a fundraiser with a
target of *10,000 Euros*. We would be grateful if you could spread the
word, forward this letter to your friends and colleagues, post information
on your social networks.

Information on our campaign here:

Side by Side website: http://bok-o-bok.ru/participate.asp?lan=1&pid=20

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/353715602206069/

Twitter Page:  https://twitter.com/sidebysideff

Post on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/sidebysideff/status/1158311485778616323?s=20

Your help spreading the word and endorsing our campaign will be greatly
appreciated,

Best wishes,

Manny

Manny de Guerre