[Filmfestivalresearch] Possible submission for the filmfestivalresearch listserv

Dan Mirvish dmirvish at slamdance.com
Fri May 28 00:56:04 CEST 2021

Dear list members,

I just wrote the 2nd Edition of my book "The Cheerful Subversive's Guide to
Independent Filmmaking," which is coming out July 6 from Focal
Press/Routledge. Let me know if any of you are interested in reviewing the
book for any magazines or academic journals. Also, if you're interested in
the book for yourself, your colleagues or your students, you can request a
free inspection copy directly from Routledge at:
https://www.routledge.com/textbooks/evaluation/9780367566975

Though much of the book is a practical guide to directing/producing
independent features, about 1/5th of the text is devoted to the culture of
international film festivals. Along the way, it contains the closest thing
to the definitive history of the Slamdance Film Festival (which I
co-founded in 1994) including anecdotes about "Generation Slamdance"
filmmakers like Bong Joon-ho, Christopher Nolan, the Russo Brothers, Rian
Johnson, the late Lynn Shelton, Sean Baker as well as Slamdance mentors
Robert Altman and Steven Soderbergh.

Finally, I'm finishing up post-production on my new feature, called "18
1/2" which is a Watergate thriller/dark comedy. I expect to be on the
festival circuit starting this fall, so I'm happy to arrange on-campus
screenings, book signings and/or guest lectures along the way. I'm fully
vaxxed and ready to travel. For more info on me, the book or the film, go
to www.DanMirvish.com or email me at dmirvish at slamdance.com. Thanks, and
stay safe! - Dan Mirvish
director, author & cofounder, Slamdance Film Festival