<synthesis> New project --will you participate?

Natalie Bookchin natalieeb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:03:56 CEST 2020

Hi Everyone,
I am working on a new sound and video installation and wondering if any of
you would be willing to participate by making a video from your phone (or a
few) or by sharing with others who might want to. The call is open to
everyone so please feel free to share with others.,
Thank you for considering it!

I'm pasting the info below, which you can also view at
bookchin.net/ghost-games

warm regards
Natalie

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION!!!!!!!

*German version  <https://bookchin.net/geisterspiele/>/  Spanish version *

Participate in an upcoming video and sound installation with artist Natalie
Bookchin for Urbane Künste Ruhr <https://www.urbanekuensteruhr.de/de>  by
making and sharing some (or even just one!) videos from your phone.
(Instructions below)

*[image: Ghost game screenshot]Watch the Ghost Games Teaser here
<https://vimeo.com/421531619/a3619b892a>*

*Ghost Games**
What does the global pandemic sound and look like from home? With people
spending more time at home, and streets and cities emptier, the landscapes
and soundscapes of everyday life has changed. So has our attention to the
ordinary sounds that surround us. What are the altered states of being and
doing that emerge in this strange space of semi-solitude and separation
from the public and from public space? What are the sounds people are
making and hearing in this changed environment? What stories do they tell?
What sounds are soothing and which evoke the catastrophe of Covid-19?

We are inviting people who are in this altered situation at home to record
short videos of a sound or a collection of sounds they notice and listen to
and/or make from their homes, as well as what they see when they hear or
make those sounds (see instructions below).

I will use the videos you share to construct a sonic and visual portrait of
the collective experience of people isolated alone together, behind masks
and at a distance. The portrait will depict a time and places when one way
to come together as a society is  to be apart, a paradoxical situation
where confining yourself to private space becomes, for those who are not
“essential workers” or on the street protesting against systemic racism and
police brutality against black people, a caring public action, where the
closest we come to everyday exteriority, is in the sounds that we make with
our bodies and the sounds that we hear from others.

*Instructions for shooting*

1. Record the sounds and silences you hear and make in your home, ordinary
sounds and silences that you hear from the outside, the street, the yard
and your neighbors. You can point the camera at the sound as it is being
made or point it outward at something else as you listen.

2. Make as many videos as you like, the more the better! *Also, no matter
what else you shoot, please make one video recording out your window,
holding the camera still for at least 30 seconds as you record.* The videos
you make can be between around 30 seconds and up to 3 minutes (or more if
necessary)

3. Think of these recordings as documents of your encounters with the world
at home in a time of a global pandemic. The sounds can be the most
ordinary—from a sounds of receiving a text message to the sounds of your
own or others exercising, chopping food, locking or slamming doors, mixing
a drink, uncorking a bottle, to dogs barking, the sounds of your family in
the other room, or electronics beeping. You can record a single isolated
sound like a ball dropping or a bottle opening, or sounds that last longer,
like the chatter of birds, the sounds of protests on the streets, of
helicopters, footsteps overhead, the neighbors,  music , radio, or TV heard
out your window or in the other room. Record silences as well, the ambient
sound and silences of your home, or out your window, or in your front or
back yard.

4. Very important—*please shoot in landscape mode, holding the phone
horizontally*. Hold the camera steady and still unless it needs to move to
follow something you are recording. You can prop your phone against
something to keep it still while you record.

5. Videos can be between around 30 seconds and 3 minutes, or slightly
longer if necessary. Record longer than you think you need to, holding the
camera on whatever you are recording even after the sound has been made and
before if it is possible. Take your time recording ambient sounds and
silences, more is better than less!

6. Send the videos to me by WhatsApp, dropbox, or email

🌏 WhatsApp: *+1-914-305-0996 <https://wa.me/19143050996>*

🌏 Dropbox: drop videos into the folder here
<https://www.dropbox.com/request/QtAY8HhyrdyhHZHyh8u5>

🌏 or email me at ghostgamesmedia at gmail.com <ghostgamesmedia at gmail.com>

7. If you include your name with your submission, I will add it to the
credits on the website once the project is completed (unless you prefer
anonymity). The work will first be shown as a public installation with Urbane
Künste Ruhr <https://www.urbanekuensteruhr.de/de> and later will be
viewable online.

***Ghost Games (or Geisterspiele) is a German term used for soccer games
that are played behind closed doors where there are no viewers in the
stadium.

Please share this call among your networks.
Thank you for participating!