<synthesis> Tame and Disarm Dangerous Algorithms

Alexandra Juhasz ajuhasz1081 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 18:10:09 CEST 2020

Colleagues:

As you all know, Geert Lovink is an intrepid critic, theorist, and media activist.
But do you know he makes music about the digital, too, albeit more humbly …

I hope you will take a listen: https://shows.acast.com/we-need-gentle-truths-for-now/episodes/tame-and-disarm-dangerous-algorithms <https://shows.acast.com/we-need-gentle-truths-for-now/episodes/tame-and-disarm-dangerous-algorithms>.
And if you like it, tune into more episodes wherever you listen to podcasst.
We Need Genle Truths For Now engages in radical digital media literacy by enjoying a bite of education and a bit of poetry, creating humane responses to fake news and social media in the era of Covid-19.

	For this episode, we consider hardtruth #53; “tame and disarm dangerous algorithms <https://scalar.usc.edu/nehvectors/100hardtruths-fakenews/53-tame-and-disarm-dangerous-algorithms>.” It was written by Geert Lovink <https://networkcultures.org/geert/biography/>, a media theorist from the Institute of Network Cultures in the Netherlands. He reads his writing for my online primer on digital media literacy where 	he refers to the work of mathematician Cathy O'Neill <https://mathbabe.org/contact/> and a series of questions about the viability of media literacy <https://clalliance.org/blog/media-literacy-backfire/> and fake news being raised at that time. Then, we hear from Professor Jacqueline Wernimont, <https://jwernimont.com/about/> Distinguished Chair of Digital Humanities and Social
	Engagement & Associate Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Dartmouth College. At a Fake News Poetry Workshop in 2018 <http://fakenews-poetry.org/dartmouth.html> she fed a bot some words of decency. Programmed to help us better understand the algorthmic stupidity of AI by project 	 collaborator, Dr. Kyle Booten <https://www.kylebooten.me/about.html>, the words of Buddhist monk and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh <https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/>; Joy Harjo <https://www.joyharjo.com/>, the first Native American national poet laureate; and the feminist digital pedagogy collective, FemTechNet  <https://open.acast.com/shows/5ebaf214613f0c1c8763ac10/episodes/FemTechNet.org>allowed for poetry from which we have all learned:

	Voice is perfect
	RESOLVE is now conflict, (and)

	Disappearance is peace.

Thanks for your attention,