<MoneyLab> Daniel G. Andújar reporting

Geert Lovink geert at networkcultures.org
Tue Feb 1 17:53:38 CET 2022

I was mining "at the museum" in Stuttgart Kunstverein, using the institution to earn some crypto directly to my wallet. Funny project, I would like to say. It was during the "Techniques of Becoming" exhibition. October 16, 2021 – January 23, 2022, just finished last weekend. Also I was giving a workshop "Crypto-Leviathan”:

https://www.wkv-stuttgart.de/en/program/2021/exhibitions/techniques-of-becoming/ <https://www.wkv-stuttgart.de/en/program/2021/exhibitions/techniques-of-becoming/>
https://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/episode-8 <https://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/episode-8> (with video)
https://www.wkv-stuttgart.de/en/program/2021/exhibitions/techniques-of-becoming/workshop-crypto-leviathan/ <https://www.wkv-stuttgart.de/en/program/2021/exhibitions/techniques-of-becoming/workshop-crypto-leviathan/>

--

From the Stuttgart catalogue:

Daniel G. Andújar
(*1966 in Almoradí, lives in Barcelona)

Untitled, 2021
Multimedia installation with mining PC, computer generated graphics, videos

The starting point of Daniel G. Andújar’s new installation is a machine that mines an immaterial cryptocurrency.

Andújar writes:

The machinery of the digitization process of all aspects of our reality continues to work, metadata, microdata, algorithms. A past world has been radically transformed, where the banknote becomes code, the economy digital, software eats the world, mathematics calls for social order, security questions reality, the mechanical is an algorithm, the hacker is the new modern artist. A new economic order that vindicates human experience as a free raw material for hidden business practices of extraction, prediction, and sale. A dishonest mutation of capitalism marked by concentrations of wealth, knowledge, and power unprecedented in the history of mankind. A parasitic economic logic in which the production of goods and services is subordinated to a new global architecture of behavior modification. As we trade on the condition of our freedom, as our fears push us towards our comfortable new social bubble, a kind of crypto-Leviathan, of enormous power, continues to develop. ‘No one is so daring to wake him up.” The term HODL is based on a misspelling that stayed in the Bitcoin scene: In late 2013, after the Bitcoin price slumpted, user "Gamerkyuubi" wrote in a forum that he still did not want to sell his coins, posting "I am hodling" instead of "holding." Meanwhile, virtual Marx reads the Communist Manifesto.