[re-search] Questions for Google

Richard Graham richardnvgraham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 00:39:03 CET 2014

Dear Pascal,

What a great opportunity, I hope it ends up being as valuable as it sounds.

If it fits with your discussion could you ask about
autocorrect/autosuggestion please? Particularly the process whereby Google
decide certain queries (words, or phrases) should not be suggested. Its an
area that fits with all three of the topics you raised above. Privacy in
terms of limiting slanderous autosuggestions relating to specific people.
Personalisation: might a version of the filter bubble be working through
autocomplete suggestions relating to previous search behaviours or
geographical localisation? And media literacy in the way users, on the
whole, have little understanding of why certain suggestions are being
presented to them.

Google have given small indications to some of the things which are
excluded or removed from autosuggest in the past but in a vague and guarded
way. I'd be very interested to hear more detail about the way in which
Google feel the feature functions, who is responsible for its direction and
the decisions and guidelines taken towards its continuing and future
developments.

Hope its a productive meeting,

Best,

Richard Graham
AHRC Doctoral Fellow in Digital Humanities
Exeter University
@richardnvgraham