[re-search] ideas for a new event on search - Society of the Query #3

Miriam Rasch miriam at networkcultures.org
Tue Sep 13 15:18:12 CEST 2016

Dear list members!

Has the time come for a Society of the Query #3?

At the Institute of Network Cultures we are looking into ways to make that happen. We want to make a proposal to apply for funds with the hope of organising another event on web search in Fall 2017. We are on a tight deadline but eager to take the chance.

It would help a lot to receive input from everyone involved with Society of the Query, reflection on online search, art projects concerned with searching and finding, alternative search engines, et cetera. Our working title is: ‘Search Beyond Google’.

What are the most crucial topics going on in this field of research?
What projects are happening when it comes to alternatives, artistic reflection and critique?

We are very interested in, for example:
- searching on the platforms (so, outside of Google)
- algorithmic curation; why search when ‘trending topics’ are handed to you anyway and recommendations serve you personally
- how to educate search and stimulate knowledge production and information collection
- how to protect democratic, open, public debate in the Society of the Query
- and of course: other ways of searching & finding that can (not yet) be imagined.

Please contact us with your ideas, names and publications AND let us know if you want to collaborate with INC on making this happen.

All the best,
Miriam

---
Miriam Rasch
Institute of Network Cultures
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences | HvA
room 04A09
Rhijnspoorplein 1
NL-1091 GC Amsterdam
t: +31 20 5951865