<unlike-us> Tim Wu: What comes after Facebook?

gertml gertml at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 7 10:36:06 CEST 2018

what we most need now is a new generation of social media platforms that
are fundamentally different in their incentives and dedication to
protecting user data.

If we have learned anything over the last decade, it is that advertising
and data-collection models are incompatible with a trustworthy social
media network. The conflicts are too formidable, the pressure to amass
data and promise everything to advertisers is too strong for even the
well-intentioned to resist.

One set of Facebook alternatives might be provided by firms that are
credibly privacy-protective, for which users would pay a small fee
(perhaps 99 cents a month). In an age of “free” social media, paying
might sound implausible — but keep in mind that payment better aligns
the incentives of the platform with those of its users.

“network effects” are not destiny.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/opinion/facebook-fix-replace.html

--G