<unlike-us> Inside Facebook’s moderation hub in Athens | Special Report | ekathimerini.com

José María Mateos chema at rinzewind.org
Sun Dec 8 23:16:51 CET 2019

http://www.ekathimerini.com/246279/gallery/ekathimerini/special-report/inside-facebooks-moderation-hub-in-athens

---
For months, Tassos was banned from speaking about his job in the
southern Athens suburb of Moschato. His task was determining whether
content put up on Facebook should be removed. In the few seconds until
the next post would pop up on his screen, he would feel his chest
tightening. If he had the slightest doubt about his judgment, he had to
consult an online rulebook indicating the crudest violations of
community standards. There, he would encounter imagery of hard-core porn
and animal torture. “I can still recall a picture depicting two little
dogs that were hung from their front feet,” Tassos told Kathimerini. But
the line between inappropriate content and censorship was not always
clear to him. “The guidelines set by Facebook were nebulous and the
phrasing was sloppy. We often did not know whether we were making the
right call,” he said.

Tassos was one of the hundreds of Teleperformance employees that work in
Athens as content moderators for Facebook. These people determine what
is inappropriate or misleading and needs to be deleted from the
platform. Unlike so-called “cleaners” in other parts of the world, the
Athens-based staff do not moderate controversial content shared by users
on Facebook as personal posts, but only ads. During training, Tassos was
told that, besides Greece, Facebook ran two more Business Integrity
teams, in Portugal and Malaysia.
---

Cheers,

--