<videovortex> youtube research (jean burgess)

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 16 07:48:32 CEST 2007

http://creativitymachine.net/2007/06/15/youtube-research-gazette/

YouTube Research Gazette
15062007

Many thanks to all the people who responded via email to my request for
information about current YouTube research projects relevant to content
and genre analysis. I still have a few more leads to chase up, but
vaguely in the spirit of FLOSS (where the second “S” is for
scholarship, not software), I thought I’d share a summary of the
results so far. I hope none of the respondents minds - please let me
know if you do and I’ll do a swift edit.

Just bear in mind this isn’t an exhaustive list - you’ll have to do
your own strenuous legwork at Google and/or Google Scholar for that…

At the Infoscape Research Lab there is some serious data crunching
going on behind the scenes, including some work on categorising
content. There are already some preliminary reports on how the federal
political parties in Canada and their supporters have been using
YouTube for campaigning up on the website.

USC Annenberg Center Postdoctoral Fellow Patricia Lange has done a
hefty amount of ethnographic work on YouTube, looking at issues such as
“YouTube community, participation, and different responses to haters,
especially in specific genres such as video blogging and youth
production videos”. She has a conference paper on users’ understandings
and responses to YouTube haters here (pdf).

There are quite a few theses in the works as well: Trine Bjørkmann
Berry (University of Sussex) is some way through a doctoral thesis on
vlogging, using an ethnographic approach informed by cultural and
critical theory; Janice Leung (York University, Canada) is completing
an MA thesis on YouTube and music fandom, specifically fan-produced
concert videos and the performance of cultural capital; Jeff Scheible
(UCSB) is beginning a project on Hurricane Katrina footage at YouTube;
Dominic Yeo (social psychology, Cambridge) is doing a PhD on the
psychological dimensions involved in user-generated videos in Web 2.0
environments.

At just about the same time as my request went out, Flow published a
couple of articles about YouTube - one by Chuck Tyron on YouTube and
Anti-War Street Theater and one by Alex Munt on the implications for
Hollywood of YouTube’s “clip culture” and associated narrative model.
Also published at Flow recently: Hector Amaya’s provocative piece on
the ‘docublogging’ via YouTube of detention centres - Hutto’s Children:
Maddening Structures of Absence.

And finally, a little bird tells me it might be a good idea to keep an
eye on the Pew Internet & American Life Project for a report on online
video over the next few weeks.

I know there must be more, or will be very soon, so feel free to let me
know what I’m missing.

Speaking of YouTube, I have added a new entry about older people’s use
of ‘playful technologies’ and informal learning over at Propagating
Media.

Jean Burgess
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation (cci)
Queensland University of Technology

Blogs:
http://creativitymachine.net
http://propagatingmedia.com