<videovortex> buta response to... why don't video artists and filmmakers occupy YouTube?

jane at janedapain.net jane at janedapain.net
Mon Mar 19 19:55:43 CET 2007

but why don't video artists and filmmakers occupy YouTube?

Video artist and filmmakers do not occupy YouTube because it does not
represent their work in the professional and artistic perspective the
artist desires. YouTube is also the generic place for video, simple
and low quality. It does not point the user to your site and your
other art. And it is representative of low quality amateur work.
Professional video artist and filmmakers are interested in marketing
and branding their entire image, they do not want to appear amateur or
sloppy. Plus the ugly watermark that ends up on their work is
horrible, and the security is not guaranteed. Artist have a lot of
options these days for displaying their own work and YouTube is not a
place for the professional artist.

As a video artist, I would have to say that I like to have a minimum
amount of video art on the web. I am concerned with copyright and
quality issues. My work is much better delivered live and I have a
much better reaction to my live work. YouTube would under-represent my
work and make me look even more amateur than I already am. I would
like to be considered some day as a professional video artist, and I
think that keeping my work off YouTube and other mass-marketed sites
will help establish my professional image. Especially if I continue to
work on my own internet image and presence.

JdaP