<videovortex> Preliminary Notes on Web-hosted Cinema

Seth Keen seth.keen at rmit.edu.au
Thu Nov 1 07:41:01 CET 2007

http://www.braintrustdv.com/essays/web-hosted.html

Preliminary Notes on Web-hosted Cinema

by Alejandro Adams

There is nothing unique about returning to early film theory in an
attempt to delimit the creative uses of digital video technology.
Comparing the infancy of the first manifestation of cinema with the
infancy of its successor is as natural as it is profitable. Invoking,
as I will, the elaborate investigations of early theorists such as
Béla Balázs and Rudolf Arnheim is a way to clarify my own
observations concerning digital cinema in general and Web-hosted
cinema in particular. Even so, it is the writing not of an abstruse
theorist but of a straightforward filmmaker which seems most
pertinently to foreshadow certain limitations and tendencies of this
new cinema. Satyajit Ray's Our Films, Their Films, a collection of
mild-mannered essays spanning three decades, is a blunt apologia of
impoverished filmmaking. An amalgam of light criticism, stirring
memoir, and affectionate lecturing, this collection may be the
touchstone against which to verify the integrity of amateur visual
storytellers working today.

seth.keen at rmit.edu.au
http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/
http://www.networkcultures.org/videovortex/