<videovortex> flickr video

Sabine Niederer sabine at networkcultures.org
Fri Apr 11 13:47:12 CEST 2008

hi,
this is taken from: http://www.blogherald.com/2008/04/09/flickr-gets-
video-but-just-for-90-seconds/
ciao, sabine

Flickr Gets Video, But Just For 90 Seconds

April 9, 2008 | By Thord Daniel Hedengren | Filed Under Features, Videos

Flickr has launched its long awaited video feature, and it’s an
interesting addition. First of all, all videos are limited to 90
seconds, and secondly, only pro users can upload videos (everyone can
view and embed them though). Why is that?
Well, the idea is to look at video as photos moving, which goes very
well with the Flickr approach, something that is pushed on the Flickr
blog launch post, no doubt to shut up the criticism. 90 second video
is one thing, but limiting to pro users only? I expect people to
react, or just go to YouTube, because of that.
Pro is $25/year, by the way. I found the need for it when I was in
Japan since I uploaded too many photos, but that’s a completely
different story.
What do you think? 90 second videos, will that take off for anyone
not being a hardcore Flickr user?

About the author: Thord Daniel Hedengren is a designer, writer, and
blogger, and also the editor of The Blog Herald. He used to be a
hotshot in the gaming industry in Sweden, but sold everything and
went International. He founded the interview blog BloggerTalks, does
loads of kickass design.