<videovortex> XMedia Lab (Melbourne) - “DIY TV”: Video, UGC, Mobile and IP TV content and services.

Seth Keen sethkeen at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 2 12:18:05 CEST 2008

The commercially orientated XMedia Lab held a conference in
(Melbourne) in August on “DIY TV”: Video, UGC, Mobile and IP TV
content and services. http://www.xmedialab.com/drupal/?q=node/16 The
key notes from international guests are available on video http://www.adikted.tv/tech/x-media-lab/show/315588564/

The focus tended to be mainly around online video with some consistent
themes emerging across the keynotes. User generated content featured
in most of the presentations along with the objective to attach
advertising to video in as many ways as possible. Also, almost every
speaker saw YouTube as being a centralised  repository of video that
cannot be matched. Therefore strategies included setting up publishing
mechanisms that distribute video content out to as many major
platforms as possible with the idea of trying to pick up return traffic.

There is a lot of funding being put towards elaborate online video
players and social viewing platforms. My notes on these on my blog:

http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/2008/08/05/abc-multiplatform/ (ABC iview
player)
http://www.sethkeen.net/blog/2008/08/04/american-fim-institute/
The Kangaroo Project in the UK - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_(video_on_demand)