<videovortex> Top 10 YouTube Videos of All Time, 2008 Edition

Sabine Niederer sabine at networkcultures.org
Tue Sep 30 09:44:55 CEST 2008

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/top_10_youtube_videos_of_all_time_2008.php

Top 10 YouTube Videos of All Time, 2008 Edition
Written by Richard MacManus / September 29, 2008 8:40 PM / 5 Comments
Last year we reviewed YouTube's 10 most popular videos. It's time to
update that list and see what, if anything, has changed. Last year we
concluded that 7 of the top 10 videos were music - with 5 of those
being professional videos. That trend has continued, although there
are now no amateur music videos in the top 10. There are 6 music
videos this year, all of them from professional musicians and their
record labels.

While YouTube became famous from user-generated content, this year's
top 10 list shows that professionals still create the most popular
content. Of the 4 non-music videos, 2 are comedy (professional
comedians), 1 is a sappy foreign love story, and the last is a cute
baby video. Only the baby video seems to be an amateur one.

So, what's changed over the last year in terms of rankings? Well there
is a new number 1. We also now have two videos that have gone over 100
million views - the top video last year was at 55.8 million. There are
8 new entrants to the top 10, with the only two survivors being
numbers 1 & 2 (who swapped places this year).

Here's the top 10 as of September 2008: [Note: we wanted to embed all
10 of them, but curiously 5 of these videos have had embedding
disabled by YouTube - which is surprising to us, because embedding
videos on third party sites is one of the best ways to get a video to
'go viral'. I guess the video owners think they've already gone viral
enough.]

Watch the videos and read more at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/top_10_youtube_videos_of_all_time_2008.php