<videovortex> A short OVC note

Andreas Treske treske at bilkent.edu.tr
Wed Jul 1 23:01:52 CEST 2009

To confess, I visited OVC. And to confess, I had a presentation, and
to confess I skipped some of the talks. My free choice moved towards
the city of New York and a bicycle ride to Williamsburg during
Gabriellas talk, thanks it was streamed online to catch up later. What
was I missing?

"Democracy and Innovation, anyone, anywhere, everyone, everywhere ..."
- Yes, this was actually one of the first statements of Yochai Benkler
in his keynote, and so he continued - "networked information economy -
radically decentralized, physical capital and human capabilitiies ...
distributed action, solutions, experimentation, adaptation ... from
mountain bikes to free software, millions of people trying to find a
solution, ... innovation comes from a network of conntected people,
anyone is allowed to say I have an idea, a project, ... faster
learning and innovation ... distributed learning means that someone
with the right skills will look at the problem ... cultural
democracy ..."
In this wonderful dream the commons will take "control over the
physical pipes, control over logical platforms and tools [that] can
constrain creativity, control over existing cultural materials".

MOZILLA in the following session was answering the question what
happens to video when it gets connected to the web, when it gets in
the structure the web is used to, yes, in the "spirit of the web".
What happens is clear, when it is written in the open source with the
right technology, the video will be open for remix without permission.

Of course, the next session had to be on fair use. To be honest this
was one of the sessions where I was most curious about. I had my
doubts and I still have my doubts about the understanding of "fair
use", which just might come from my background as a filmmaker as well
as my latest experience with the documentary "Mustafa". OVC seems to
be the right place for an answer and actually here I listened to one
of the best sessions (I confess again): It was Corynne McSherry -
Staff Lawyer, Electronic Frontier Foundation - who made it very clear
how easy it is to get a work down from the Internet. It is just a
simple email referring to copyright or trademark infringements. Just a
simple complain.  ...

Yes, there was lots of interesting things going on at the OVC - a hype
industry, a hype "open" model, announcements of "openness" in
software, codecs, very excited and engaged speeches and the look to
far away and distant countries.

My session went well, cut a little bit short by very polite "metadata"
people, reminding that OVC was really more about an industry meeting
and their tools and gadgets. (And by the way it was the release of the
iPhone 3G S that day). There were 4 or 5 monitors with video works
running in loops in front of the information desk. Perry's work,
announced, but did not appear.

Andreas