<videovortex> Social media is the new punk

G.H. Hovagimyan ghh at thing.net
Fri Jul 31 15:56:26 CEST 2009

I like the premise of the video but it seems like a pre-packaged info-
mercial.  Indeed, if I was a neo-punk I'd immediately say fuck these
guys, their trying to co-op what we're doing to make money.    You
have to differentiate punk from new wave. The info-mercial does do
that and is very informative historically. It doesn't talk about the
nihilism of the times.  There was a severe recession in the US. worse
than the one now.  The UK had just elected Margaret Thatcher was
eliminating social programs.  Punk was also about diminished prospects
for the youth coming up after the hippy generation. Actually it was
anti-hippie.  One of the recurrent catchphrases was, " '69 was the
summer of love, '79 was the summer of hate."

Being one of the original punks in New York I can talk about what that
scene and time period was really like.  http://post.thing.net/node/
719  here's a list of posts with the search words punk.  http://post.thing.net/search/node?keys=punk

The feelings at the time was that there were no jobs, and no place to
show your art if you were an artist.  For performance art there was
only The Kitchen and occasionally Paula Cooper Gallery.  What
performance artists did was perform in the rock clubs in between acts
or form bands.   That became a sort of ant-elitist position to the art
world. We were doing all of our acts for our on alienated group and
didn't want a larger audience.  The only way to be free of a corporate
success mantra was to self destruct before you could become successful.

G.H. Hovagimyan
http://nujus.net/~gh
http://artistsmeeting.org
http://transition.turbulence.org/Works/plazaville