<videovortex> jeffrey jarvis: should youtube start with its own channels

geert lovink geert at desk.nl
Wed Jun 24 22:14:28 CEST 2009

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2009/06/20/the-responsibility-of-knowledge-in-news/

The responsibility of knowledge in news

I tweeted a few minutes that I wish YouTube itself would be curating
and featuring video from Iran because only it is in the position to
know whether the video came from Iran and whether it is a duplicate. I
said that YouTube has a responsibility in the news ecosystem. Andy
Scheurer questioned that: responsibility? Good question. Isn’t YouTube
just a host? Can’t it be agnostic as to interests? No, I don’t think
so, because YouTube has unique knowledge it can add to inform the
discussion (e.g., this video isn’t from Iran or it’s a year old or
this video is unique from Iran today) and to not add that knowledge
becomes irresponsible, no? YouTube can’t just make the information
transparent so we can figure it out because it also has a moral
responsibility to protect the identity of those who are putting
themselves in danger by uploading the videos to inform the world. That
means they are the only ones who can verify at least some information
about the videos for our benefit. So shouldn’t they?

Jeffrey Jarvis