<videovortex> Subway 1,2,3 by G.H. Hovagimyan

G.H. Hovagimyan ghh at thing.net
Fri Nov 20 20:57:10 CET 2009

For Immediately Release --
One Night Only - Saturday November 21st, 7pm to 10pm at
Over The Opening (OTO)
60 North 6th Street, 2nd floor
Brooklyn, NY, 11211
L train to Bedford Avenue
3 Blocks west on North 6th - just shy of Kent
917-686-3984
mriver [at] mteww [dot] com
SUBWAY • 1 • 2 • 3
By G.H. Hovagimyan

The subway is a defining urban experience across cultures. Underground
and in the subconscious, every rider experiences a disjunctive
experience when entering one place and emerging in a different one. In
day to day experience, time spent on a subway ride can resemble lost
footage between cuts in a movie. But when a movie includes scenes shot
in a subway, the subway passage becomes a shared, collective
experience. Familiarity with subway scenes from movies have become
part of the contemporary vernacular, creating “Oh I remember that
film!” reactions. Movie scenes shot in subways also trigger deeper
feelings as the viewer defines and redefines personal and shared
experiences. In the work I have created using subway scenes from
movies, narrative conventions of standard film techniques have been
removed to further the exploration of submerged emotions.

  The installation includes three video loops of one hour each. The
piece is designed as a three-panel projection with the three loops
running simultaneously. Since the individual movie clips in each loop
are of varying aspect ratios, I selected a standard 1280 x 720 pixel
ratio and fit the clips into that size. By doing that, some of the
clips are squeezed into higher definition and others become pixilated.
The use of translation and codec problems, and the variations produced
by varied definition are an integral part of the work. Visual
association, media memory, and a collective experience can be
furthered by asking the viewer to adapt to differences. Copyright
issues are addressed as the completed artwork is composed entirely of
re-purposed cinema found solely on the Internet.

48 Hrs

A Taste of Tea‚•

Adventures in Baby-Sitting‚•

After‚•

After Hours‚•

Along Came A Spider

American Werewolf In London

American Werewolf In Paris‚•

Annie Hall

Bang the drum slowly

Barbershop 2: Back In Business

Beethoven Virus‚•

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES

Blade‚•

Bless the Child

Bless the Child trailer‚•

ButterflyMole‚•

Brother From Another Planet‚•

Carlito's Way‚•

Collateral

Condemned‚•

Conspiracy Theory

Die Another Day

Die Hard With a Vengance

Do the Right Thing

Edmond‚•

End of Days

Fame

FBI Story

Flatliners

FRENCH CONNECTION II

Getting Even With Dad

Ghost‚•

Ghostbusters

Godfather

Godzilla

Happyness‚•

HUNTED

Incident

Inner Circle‚•

Irreversible.

ITALIAN JOB (2003)

Jacob's Ladder

Cowboy Way

Creep‚•

Crocodile Dundee

Daredevil

Daybreak Express‚•

Death Wish

Little Fugitive

Little Nicky

Lost in Translation

Malcolm X

Maniac

Marathon Man

Matrix Revolutions

Men in Black 2

Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Meat Train‚•

Mimic

Money Train

Mr. Wonderful

My Best Friends Wedding

My Boss's Daughter

My Dinner with Andre

Naked City

Network

Neverwhere (Neil Gaimens )

Next Stop Greenwich

Village

Nighthawks

North by Northwest

Ocean's Eleven (2001)

ODDESSA FILE

On The Line

Paycheck

Passer By

Pi‚•

Pickup On South Street‚•

Predator II

Prizzi's Honor

Pursuit of Happyness

Quartermass and the Pit‚•

Resident Evil?

Risky Buisness

Rosemary's Baby

Rules of Attraction

Saturday Night Fever

Serendipity

Seven Year Itch‚•

Silver Streak

Just Another Girl on the IRT

King Kong‚•

King of Comedy

King of New York‚•

Knowing‚•

Sleeper Cell‚•

Sliding Doors

songs from the 2nd floor

Speed

Step Up 2‚•

Strange Days

Subway (by Luc Besson)‚•

Suicide Club‚•

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

Swat

SWIMMING POOL

TAKING OF PELHAM 1,2,3

Taxi Driver

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret of the Ooze

They

Three and Out‚•

Total Recall

Trackman‚•