<videovortex> Impakt event with Johan Grimonprez, introduction by Thomas Elsaesser

Sabine Niederer sabine at networkcultures.org
Thu Feb 18 18:53:35 CET 2010

IMPAKT EVENT: JOHAN GRIMONPREZ, Double Take and YOUTUBE-O-THEEK

Next Saturday the Impakt Event with the Belgian filmmaker and artist Johan Grimonprez will be held. We screen his new work Double Take, with an introduction by Thomas Elsaesser. Later that evening we screen the YouTube-o-theek “Maybe the sky is really green, and we’re just colorblind" curated by Johan Grimonprez & Charlotte Léouzon. Below the program.

YOUTUBE-O-THEEK “MAYBE THE SKY IS REALLY GREEN, AND WE’RE JUST COLORBLIND “
Curated by: Johan Grimonprez & Charlotte Léouzon

In this program, Grimonprez takes his audience on a trip through the Internet and the endless stream of information coming to us via YouTube and blogs. Viewers are confronted with a mix of reality and fiction and the imminent risk of manipulation. Maybe the sky is really green, and we’re just color blind is an ongoing project in which Grimonprez assembles and contextualizes amateur rarities, artistic responses to our television culture and highlights of commercial and political visual production.

Program:

1.  Alive in Joburg by Neill Blomkamp (6’30),  Prod. Spy films, Canada, 2005.

2.  Echolalia by Robert Arnold (2’40) USA, 2003.

3.  Blair and Bush Love affair by Johan Söderberg, (1’08), Sweden.

4.  Guns Sale, Amnesty International by Dougal Wilson (2’17), Prod. Blink, UK, 2005.

5.  Gorillaz, El Manana by Pete Candeland (3’48),  Prod. Passion Pictures, UK, 2006.

6.  George Bush is… Stupid (3’57), hosted by YouTube.

7.  Coming out Jesus (I will survive) (1’10), hosted YouTube.

8.  Cocked by Matthew Suib (10’), USA.

9.  Talking dogs (42’’), hosted by YouTube.

10.  Faithless, I want more by Daniel Gordon (3’14), Prod Passion Pictures, UK.

11.  Cream and Punishment, Noel Godin, Dazed & Confused TV, UK, 1998.

12.  Prep Unit, Tea Partay by Julien Christian Lutz  (2’15), Raw Tea Records, hosted by YouTube.

13.  Angry Petrol Man (1’21), hosted by YouTube.

14.  Who do we invade next? (1’44), hosted by YouTube.

15.  Jesus Versus Terminator (4’51), USA, 2006,  hosted by YouTube.

16.  Soulwax, NY Excuse by Chris Palmer (3’), Prod. Gorgeous, UK, 2006.

17.  School For Democracy by Michael Moore (2’30), TV Nation, USA.

18.  Dove Real Beauty (1’15), hosted by YouTube.

19.  Dove Boy Parody (1’15), hosted by YouTube.

20.  The Yes Men, Bhopal Case (5’51), hosted by Youtube.

21.  Royksöpp, ‘Remind Me’ by H5 (4’), Prod Black dog films, UK, 2002.

22.  Beauty Kit by Pleix (2’17), France, 2001.

23.  Dust, GAP by Spike Jonze (1’35), Prod MJZ, USA, 2005.

24.  Jesus Action Figure (43”), hosted by YouTube.

25.  Monthy Python’s International Philosophy Football Match (3’48), UK, hosted by YouTube.

26.  The Stupidest Dog Alive (40”), hosted by YouTube.

[77 minutes]

Thanks to:

Charlotte Léouzon and Johan Grimonprez would like to thank all the artists who shared their films: Camille Henrot, Clare Rojas and Andrew Jeffrey Wright, H5, Neill Blomkamp and the Spy films crew, Richard Fenwick, Robert Arnold, Matthew Suib, Pete Candeland, Dougal Wilson, Johan Söderberg, Daniel Gordon, Spike Jonze, Chris Palmer, John Williams, David Lea and Rong. Another warm thank you to all the producers and music labels for their great support: Passion Pictures, Passion Paris and Fabien Paillisse, Rupert Smythes from Gorgeous, Matthew Fone from Blink, Jean-Marc Dehoul from Pias, John Hassay and Brian Carmody from Colonel Blimp, Naz Foroodian from Stink, Andrew Thomas, Kathy from Tex Agency, Jackie Holt from Lux. Frida Öhnell and Kristina Aberg from Atmo.se. Also thanks to Bernhart Schwenk, Mike Van Peel, Angelique Campens and Franziska Stöhrm.

IMPAKT EVENT: JOHAN GRIMONPREZ

In Double Take, his second feature film, the Belgian filmmaker and artist Johan Grimonprez (author of the prize-winning documentary Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y) delves into the increasing influence of television, news, cinema and advertising on our understanding of the present and the past.

Inspired by a short story of the Argentinean writer Jorge Luis Borges in which the author meets his twenty year old self, Double Take culminates in the ultimate confrontation between filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock and his professional double Ron Burrage. Who is who, and who is the mastermind behind staging the perfect murder? Grimonprez combines fiction and reality, making extensive use of archival material – such as news images, commercials, and film fragments – and reviews Hitchock’s favorite themes: the play of doubles, the politics of fear (from the Cold War to the War on Terror, from The Birds to Independence Day) and the ideological power of cinema and television (from the early days of television to our current, obsessive zapping behavior).

Artist, director, curator and teacher Johan Grimonprez (1963)divides his time between the United States and Flanders. Although he works with various media – photography, digital clippings, and found footage – video takes a central position in his work. Grimonprez studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Ghent (KASK), the School of Visual Arts in New York and the Jan van Eyck Academy in Maastricht. All of his early video works, including Kobarweng or Where Is Your Helicopter? (1992), investigate the impact of images on its viewers. Grimonprez consciously manipulates the conventions of the documentary genre. His acclaimed documentary Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y (1997) was a visually overwhelming trip, a compelling visual montage of the history of a plane hijacking eerily foreshadowing the world prior to 9/11.

Date: Saturday 20 February 2010.

19.30 pm: Double Take and introduction by Thomas Elsaesser

22.00 pm: YouTube-o-theek “Maybe the sky is really green, and we’re just color blind“

Location: Film Theater ’t Hoogt, Utrecht

Ticket price for each program: 8.50 euro (CJP/U-pas, 65+, student: 7.50 euro)

Combination ticket: 12.50 euro (CJP/U-pas, 65+, student: 11 euro)

Reservations at info at hoogt.nl and by Telephone at +31 (0)30-232 83 88

The spoken language is English.

Expected:
Utrechtse Nieuwe Media Avond #3 / Brein - Computer Interfaces. Wednesday 10 March 2010, Impakt HQ Lauwerecht 10 in Utrecht
Things to Come #3 / Off the Grid. Thursday 25 March 2010, Moira Wolvenstraat 10 in Utrecht