<videovortex> In context of the H.264 licensing fiasco: "German high court declares all software potentially patentable" (19.05.10)

Valentin Spirik valentin.spirik at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:23:22 CEST 2010

To all H.264/MPEG-2 camera owners in the EU: you may not be safe from
software patents, they may be about to arrive via a backdoor:

German high court declares all software potentially patentable

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2010/05/german-high-court-declares-all-software.html

BGH-Urteil zu Softwarepatenten stößt auf viel Kritik

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/BGH-Urteil-zu-Softwarepatenten-stoesst-auf-viel-Kritik-1004005.html

This is simply dangerous when looking at the H.264 licensing fiasco. If you
don't believe me please read my blog. If you are someone who can communicate
the potential problems of this to the so called decision maker *please do so
now*.

Just when you think Google's WebM/VP8 will solve the patent (troll) problems
that the video post business is suffering from we get this...

This is really worrying. Specially if you are a (small) business/video
start-up etc. in Europe. Please act if you are in a position to do so.

Thanks,

Valentin Spirik

http://indiworks.wordpress.com/