<videovortex> Call For Submissions: Appropriation Alliance Critical Remix Festival 2011

Vito Campanelli info at vitocampanelli.it
Thu Oct 21 12:39:58 CEST 2010

Call For Submissions: Appropriation Alliance Critical Remix Festival 2011

http://appropriationalliance.org/news.html

APPROPRIATION ALLIANCE is pleased to announce the first Critical Remix
Festival call for submissions. The Critical Remix Festival is a juried
film festival that will serve as the kick-off event for the 2011 year at
Gallery 25 in Fresno, CA. The opening screening will take place on
Thursday, January 6, 2011 from 5 PM to 10 PM. The gallery will host
screenings on each of the following weekends until January 30, 2011.

ENTRY DETAILS and ELIGIBILITY
The theme for this inaugural festival is "War and Oil." The call for
submissions is open to all artists working with the medium of Critical
Remix (commonly found on YouTube and also known as Political Remix Video
or media stylos). The remix must use found footage: for example,
corporate advertising, Hollywood films, TV shows, archive footage of
war, etc. The remix you submit must have been created after January
2009, and we especially encourage new work. Our sponsors and the
Appropriation Alliance will serve as jurors for the festival, and are
interested in seeing each artist's perspective on the themes of War and
Oil*. An award of $1000 USD will be given to the remix artist the jury
finds to be most deserving.
*To illustrate, here is a link to a Critical Remix Video on the theme of
War and Oil created by Diran Lyons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuh4AiZ-VY

SUBMISSION FORMAT
Submissions should be viewable on YouTube. The video should be 8 minutes
or less. Please send the link to your video (one video per artist),
along with your name, contact information, the official title of the
work, and a brief statement (100 words) about the video to:
appropriationalliance at gmail.com.

The deadline for submissions is: Monday, December 20, 2010 5:00PM PST.
There is no entry fee; however we encourage a small donation to help us
cover costs. You can donate through paypal at:
http://centerfornonviolence.org/wp/contribute/ and note ‘remix festival’
under the special notes section when you confirm your donation, or by
sending a check written to ‘FCNV’ with ‘remix festival’ in the memo
section to Fresno Center For Nonviolence, 1584 Van Ness, Fresno, CA
93728. All donations are tax-deductible and appreciated.

NOTIFICATION
Artists will be notified of acceptance or decline no later than Tuesday,
December 28, 2010. Individuals accepted will have their work shown at
the event and posted on our site along with video from the opening.
Additionally, remixers will be given permission to remix our festival
and present it in a forum of their choice, needing only to notify us and
let viewers know your event is a selection from the Appropriation
Alliance Critical Remix Festival. Please note that your submission
indicates your agreement to allow this to take place and for
Appropriation Alliance to use images or excerpts from your remix for
promotional purposes.

For more information on this open call for submissions, contact the
Appropriation Alliance at appropriationalliance at gmail.com.

http://appropriationalliance.org
http://appropriationalliance.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/AppropriationAllianc