<videovortex> Video Vortex Amsterdam 2011 - Session Ideas Feedback

Adrian Miles adrian.miles at rmit.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 02:02:34 CEST 2010

hi all

my personal interests: would be interested in discussion/panel/theme around
any/either/all:

1. documentary and online video practice.
Just something with stronger connection to previous genre/form/practices.
The rise of informal video making (like blogging before it) has strong
connections in relation to some forms of personal documentary. What are
they? And what might this mode of making contribute to new documentary forms
or practices?

2. online video and new narratives
The majority of video online is still a) treating video as a single whole
object and b) linear. As far as I know we still haven't even really managed
something like Flickr's squaredcircle or something with the density of
connections that a decent blog manages. Why not? Is this a problem of video
in itself so video will always be 'book like' (bounded and relatively closed
in itself) is this is just the hegemony of  heritage media?

an appropriate closing
Adrian Miles
School of Media and Communication
Program Director B.Comm Honours