<videovortex> a database theory film by YOHA: Invisible Airs, with Graham Harwood a.o.

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 29 16:27:01 CEST 2012

Project: http://yoha.co.uk/invisible
Website: http://www.vimeo.com/36567631
Contact: Alistair.Oldham at uwe.ac.uk

The computerized database is fundamentally changing society. From
communication, to government, transport, shopping, friendship, health,
education, narrative and even the way we watch film, the database is
radically transforming our lives. And yet we are only barely aware of
its existence, we don't really know what a database is : like
electricity, it's pervasive and all around us , but we cannot actually
see it.

Digital media artists YOHA set about making the database visible.
Commissioned by the Digital Cultures Research Centre at the University
of the West of England, they use Bristol City Council's local
government expenditure to explore the relationship between the
database, power and expenditure.

Turning the pounds sterling of expenditure into the pounds per square
inch of pneumatic pressure, they make a suite of engineered mechanical
contraptions : a Potato Cannon, an Old People Pneumatic Floor
Polisher, an Expenditure Riding Saddle and an Open Data Book Stabber.

But as they tour these contraptions around Bristol, they become
embroiled in the more visceral realities of the city, in the form of
the Royal Wedding, local anti Tesco riots and the censorship of a
local outdoor cinema.